Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has installed it on their car??? If so, could I please get feedback?? I know it is not difficult to install, i was just curious about any performance difference as well as reliability?? Thanks. Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done a Delteq on my 9C1.
As noted, install was easy,
the plug wires were the usual
PITA.
I've put around 20,000 miles
on the system, no problems at
all, and this is with an Opti
that was on it's way out.
I can't honestly tell you I
noticed any seat-of-the pants
performance difference, except
the idle was much smoother.
I also DID NOT experience the
longer crank times some have
reported.
I would imagine any performance
difference would be at the upper
RPM ranges with a more reliable
spark and longer coil saturation
time.
HTH!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 1meanss:
Just wondering if anyone has installed it on their car??? If so, could I please get feedback?? I know it is not difficult to install, i was just curious about any performance difference as well as reliability?? Thanks. Joe
I have the first one on a SS. The Electronic Module died and other piece broke. BUT Peter Visser FedEx'ed the new and improved ones the next day.

My car Pinged more at Top End and Retarded the Ignition. It has a longer dwell firing and looks like the car improved about .1 in the 1/4 once I got the Tuning Right. Documented at NYID.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot for your guys info. Does anyone else have any other feedback, whether it is good or bad?? I am debating putting this on my car and I am a little hesitant b/c I have a 385 that I am most likely going to supercharge. I do not think the opti-spark will hold up, that is why I am considering this so seriously. Thanks again for all of your help guys. Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You do realize that all available "alternatives" retain the opti to some degree right?
The opti is not a fraction as bad as it's reputation so do some real research before spending hundreds halfway defeating something that is not a real problem. Not saying things like the Delteq have no place just saying people need to do their reading and not jump on the bandwagon just because the opti is all evil and falls apart on a whim :rolleyes: .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never said that the opti is bad. I have read up on some of the different ignition setups that you can do on lt1s. Majority of the setups similar to what I want end up using a delteq system or something similar like off of an ls1. Majority of the articles that I have seen were of people who complained about the distibutor failing under alot of power and higher revs. I just do not want a vehicle that I am going to have to worry about breaking at the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One things I wish I had done
on the new engine/ Opti is
to remove the rotor.
I've seen quite a few posts
on three different Forums
citing rotors shattering
or simply falling off.

just saying people need to do their reading and not jump on the bandwagon just because the opti is all evil and falls apart on a whim
That's fine. My Opti was most certainly
on it's way out at the time I installed
the Delteq system, I will concede that
it had over 150 K miles on it at the time,
no signs of past replacement of cap, or
of the Opti itself.
Seemed like a viable alternative to an
Opti replacement.
I've never looked back.
1Mean, you may also want to look into
the Bailey LTCC system, especially if
you're considering spraying.
This system has a spark retard capability.
It will also retain the Opti.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will look into it. I am not going to spray (i hate nitrous). I am, however, going to eventually supercharge. Thanks for the info. Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bailey ltcc vs. delteq??? I am going to be running a 385 with about 9-10 pounds of boost, most likely in the 11s somewhere. Thanks again. Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LTCC unless you want to get a $400 ignition box along with Delteq. You will need timing retard and a soft rev-limiter with boost which LTCC provides.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already have a msd box and i do have one of those retard nobs from msd that i am going to put on when I put the supercharger on. I do not like how the bailey system is not bolt on. I am mechanically inclined and i am sure i could handle it, but i guess it is just the point and the extra time. You have to buy the coils and wires for the bailey system, right??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure what the Bailey sytem
includes, I think you can get
pretty much everything.
From what I understand, the system
is not 100% plug and play, there
is some splicing invloved into
factory wiring. This, and the fact
that at the time, there were a few
LTCC box failures, swayed me towards
the Delteq.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by 1meanss:
I already have a msd box and i do have one of those retard nobs from msd that i am going to put on when I put the supercharger on.
The MSD box you have now is not going to work with a multi-coil ignition. You'll need a DIS4 MSD box that is designed to work with waste spark multi-coil ignitions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Ram Air 383:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 1meanss:
I already have a msd box and i do have one of those retard nobs from msd that i am going to put on when I put the supercharger on.
The MSD box you have now is not going to work with a multi-coil ignition. You'll need a DIS4 MSD box that is designed to work with waste spark multi-coil ignitions. </font>[/QUOTE]You lost me at Waste Spark....
You will not need a MDS Box with a delteq.
AND you can Tune the PCM with a Computer the same way as before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Dan Fahey:
You lost me at Waste Spark....
Do a google search on waste spark ignition. That's how Delteq operates.

You will not need a MDS Box with a delteq.
You do if you need spark retard and a soft rev limiter. Which is always a case if you're running nitrous or boost. The poster is planning to put a supercharger on.

AND you can Tune the PCM with a Computer the same way as before.
Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.