Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a '95 9C1. My ABS light will go on constantly about 3 miles driving. Therefore I want to check the ABS sensors on the front wheels an the sensor that's located on the diff. I removed the bolts on the sensors but they won't come lose. I don't want to break them but what is the right way to disconnect the ABS sensors ?

Thanks for any help,

Johan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They tend to rust in place and won't come out. I actually had to use a torch and hammer to get them out while the spindles were off the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I have to take off the front wheels and the diskbrakes ? There are no other ways to clean the sensors ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a look for yourself to see what condition they are in. The actual sensing part is inside the rotor up against the pulse ring. You can see the backide of it in the spindle without removing the rotor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd get the ABS codes scanned and then just replace the faulty wheel sensor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The computer tells me malfunction on speedsensor left and right frontwheel.
I have ordered the parts and hope to get rid of this problem.

Thanks,
Johan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Johan:
So I have to take off the front wheels and the diskbrakes ? There are no other ways to clean the sensors ?
Whether its the little coil inside the actual sensor going haywire, or more likely the wire jacket wearing and compromising the signal, I think eveyone is deriving the only effective removal after failure is by destructive means with an authoritative square smack of a 3 pounder.

My new sensors get the hole ream-clearanced and sensor bedded in a tiny bead of silicone. Spray brake cleaner and a brass detail brush make good to clean the reluctor spokes of magnetic shavings and grime, but I have not attached that to proper ABS function.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.