Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Key word: good system flush.

First off, I dont work for GM or Texaco or represent them in the Dex-Cool wars.

IMO, the GM clay tablets and air in the system prolly did a number on that heater core not the Dex-C.

Remember, even when you flush all the Dex out and go all green, you never really get all the Dex-C out of the system (you cant). The probs start when the green mixes with the remaining Dex-C and those tablets, the brownish sludge appears (not to mention most folks dont do routine maint on their cooling system and rust forms). They say Dex-C and green play nice, I dont think they do. I remember when I worked at a dealership alot of people were putting green in because they did not know any better, thats what they were used to using and it mixed with the Dex-C and then the **** hit the fan in the system.

Also, Dex-C is a real finniky Bitch when air is in the system, this is when it really gets all mad and pissy. I flush and fill often with Dex-C, dont ever add the clay tablets, use distilled water and bleed bleed bleed the air out and all has been well for years.

Up to you though, if you wanna go green.

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
That is probably the most concise and orderly description of my own exact feelings as accumulated and deduced over years of reading on this topic. Thanks.

I've had the orange stuff since new, now has 60k. Never no tablets, never no green added, and didn't know about the air issue, but I'll usually go and burp the system every 6 months just for grins.

Never no problems that weren't traced to a bad cap or thermostat - or waterpump.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Now-a-days most coolants can mix with dexcool if they are an "Any-color" coolant.

Most LT1's have a real neglected coolant system. If one changed the coolant every 3-4 years, I don't see an issue with either coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.