Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pix of Dick Miller's Triangulation braces installed?

Is new hardware required?

I was going to do some work on the rear suspension of my ride this weekend, and was finally going to install these that I bought years ago.

Just wondering if anyone who has installed can share some info.

Thx!

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I know I posted pics up years ago here when I installed mine. I recall several pics/threads about them.

Shouldn't need new hardware, and as long as your bolts are still in the "stock installed orientation" it should be pretty easy install. You might have to grind a little on one mounting bracket end depending on your mufflers.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I posted pics up years ago here when I installed mine. I recall several pics/threads about them.

Shouldn't need new hardware, and as long as your bolts are still in the "stock installed orientation" it should be pretty easy install. You might have to grind a little on one mounting bracket end depending on your mufflers.
Thanks Jonathan, I'll have to do a little better job searching next time.

P.S. I love you SIG Picture!

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
P.S. I love you SIG Picture!
Lol, what is it? It's not showing on my display for some reason. The one of the car in front of the American flags?

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, what is it? It's not showing on my display for some reason. The one of the car in front of the American flags?
Yes, that pic.

It didn't shop up in your last post for some reason, but in your initial reply, it's there.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Yes, that pic.

It didn't shop up in your last post for some reason, but in your initial reply, it's there.
Thanks. I love that pic as well. I won a ROTM here with it.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I didn't take any pics of my DM install. Few notes I remember doing it:

1 bolts were facing towards inside of chassis

2 remove nut from bolt. I used box/open end wrenches. I also have Hotchkis upper & lower arms with their hardware which uses a "lock" nut so you need wrench on both ends

3 back bolts out so about 1/4" remains showing, put brace on bolts (they only go on one orientation), thread bolts back in (will need wrench to do) then nut back on bolt, tighten. What I found was without backing out the bolts I couldn't get the DM brace on with them extended out from control arms so backed them out. I may have only needed to back out the upper bolts. You will discover whether you need to do this when you try and get the brace on both the upper & lower bolts. On uppers space is tight and IIRC could only get 1/8 or 1/4 urns on wrench but very doable

4. you may need to unhook muffler/over axle pipe from rubber hanger and "push" aside for clearance to get hand/wrench on bolt.

5. I used jack stands under the axle housing and installed the braces with rear suspension "loaded".

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Still have not installed mine from that GP years ago...damn Mufflers are in the way. But I do have some pics at home from a thread I can't seem to find now. :frown2: This link here shows them installed on Chris' car. There may be others, just Search "Dick Miller Braces" and you should find some more pics.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/2994218-post111.html

Believe you just remove the HW for the Control arms and these slide in place and the Nuts remount over the braces. Think I remember seeing where you had to push the bolt out to where it was flush in order for the brace to slip into position. Then just push the bolt back out through the brace and reuse HW.

EDIT - Missed BALLSS post above but Step #5 is very important on any suspension work.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still have not installed mine from that GP years ago...damn Mufflers are in the way. But I do have some pics at home from a thread I can't seem to find now. :frown2: This link here shows them installed on Chris' car. There may be others, just Search "Dick Miller Braces" and you should find some more pics.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/2994218-post111.html

Believe you just remove the HW for the Control arms and these slide in place and the Nuts remount over the braces. Think I remember seeing where you had to push the bolt out to where it was flush in order for the brace to slip into position. Then just push the bolt back out through the brace and reuse HW.

EDIT - Missed BALLSS post above but Step #5 is very important on any suspension work.
Thanks for the follow-up. I've got to get together with my hardware supplier Monday, and get some new Ny-Loc nuts for this install, and then I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I installed mine with the suspension unloaded on a lift. Re-used all the stock hardware. Seems like they work pretty well.

MAKE SURE that you have 2 different parts. They ARE side specific. I sat on mine for months before attempting the install, only to find out Dick Miller accidentally sent 2 LEFT side parts. D'oh! They took care of it immediately though.

Did you find any pictures?

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed mine with the suspension unloaded on a lift. Re-used all the stock hardware. Seems like they work pretty well.

MAKE SURE that you have 2 different parts. They ARE side specific. I sat on mine for months before attempting the install, only to find out Dick Miller accidentally sent 2 LEFT side parts. D'oh! They took care of it immediately though.

Did you find any pictures?
Thanks for the follow-up on the thread. After I wake up and get some food in my belly I'll go out and open the box I got the braces shipped in and make sure there is a LH & RH specific piece; I didn't realize that. Good information.

And yes, after doing a better search I was able to find 2 threads with pictures of the installed pieces.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts

I was not able to use the part with the bushings,we even ground them smaller to try to fit them,after driving they came loose and would not' stay in place.

Called Dick and he sent new ones,no difference so I bought ones from street trends that have both ends the same,no issues and the braces are a great suspension mod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts