Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the car the clutch on the compressor was locked up. So I've rebuilt the motor and all new parts under the hood. So I've bought a new compressor, dryer, lines, etc. So the question is which type of oil to put in the compressor and how much 134. Guy's at the auto part store say to use Mineral oil not the pag 150 and that it needs 50oz of 134. That is what they say the book says since it's been converted to 134 and it had 134 in it when I bought the car. Just wanna make sure I use the right stuff.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to which oil and how much 134? Thanks for any help I'm new with the Tbi stuff.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yes, all '93 B and D-bodies had R12 from the factory. If your system has been flushed clean of any residue from the old system, you can use either PAG or Ester oil. Traditional mineral oil is NOT compatible with R134A. Ester oil helps stabilize the mineral oil and that is why it is used in the cheap retrofit kits.

50 oz of refrigerant has to be waaaay too much. The rule of thumb with R134A conversions is to use about 15% less weight of R134A than the specified charge of R12. If your Fleetwood had the factory accumulator/dryer, there is a sticker on the top with the weight of refrigerant required printed on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts