Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exiting the toll road I stop at the light and car turns off! No sputtering or stumbling it just turns off. I try to start it but car just turns over. You can smell gas slightly under the hood but not a strong smell. No sight of fuel or any other leaks. K & N cold air pipe is still connected pretty good so I don't think its the maf. I don't know where to start checking and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
LS

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you can't run the codes immediatley, one quick thing you can check is the fuse for the fuel pump under the hood.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used to have a problem with the connector that plugs into the top of the opti. It didnt have a secure clip to lock it in place. if it should become slightly loose it will shut your car off quickly. Sounds like something simple but frustrating.

also Id check the ignition module. My truck shut off while I was idling in a parking lot last week. Wouldnt start just like yours did. Turned out to be that .

good luck Let us know when you find out

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Turn the car off then turn on and you should hear the FP prime. Check wires to the opti as well as wires to the ignition module.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok here's the plan

Ok a coworker towed me to my job. I'm going to pick up the ignition module while I'm out on my route. Where is the module located on the car and is it an easy install. I'll check the fuel pump and opti plug first when I get off.
Thanks
LS

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
it's located on the driver side head next to the intake manifold/waterpump. it was a very short spark plug wire attach to it that goes to the optispark.

fuel pump check if it prime

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check 1 2

Ok. Checked fuel pump and I hear it coming on. I'm going to tow it home, take the module to autozone and get it tested. Any way to test the opti?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why sure...to test an opti, throw it up against the wall really hard. If it bounces back and hits you, then its good. :)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
do u have an msd box once it failed and i couldnt find out what is was till i connected it back to stock...

·
Registered
530 Posts
do u have an msd box once it failed and i couldnt find out what is was till i connected it back to stock...
I have an MSD-6 box. The first thing is do is disconnect it too. Good idea. I never had a problem, however, its good to eliminate that issue.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
To answer your initial question, I have had an opti/distributor totally die outright, and another just fail like a missing cylinder.

With the missing cylinder feel, I was able to drive the car a day or two before I was able to dig into it and replace it.

The total failure, I was driving doing 75 and it just keiled over, and would only crank the engine over. I had spark at the plugs, gas pressure, but even shooting ether down the intake wouldn't do anything.

It's usually one or the other.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just had mine die too last month;) 1. Check the coil/module, you say you're already doing this at autozone, if they say they can't (the store I went to did not have the equipment test our modules) The test is outlined in the Haynes and FSM, if you don't have it I'll try to scan it later today.

2. Fuel, check the actual pressure at the rail, not just if the pump primes.

3. Air, pretty sure you have that:D But, yeah, you said the MAF which would probably be the only thing related to that.

I checked everything else before condemning the opti, I had just seen and heard too many people mistakenly diagnose it. But I eventually tracked mine down to no spark @ plugs but the coil and module were working fine so the spark trail ended at the opti, so, out it went!

Good luck,
Tony

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so far so bad

Checked fuses...they're ok. Too dark out to check the plug on the opti. Your right autozone couldn't check the module. BUT pulled spark plug wire and checked for spark. NO Spark! I have a haynes (I think) at home. I'll check it out when I get home. Sitten outside waiting on AAA with a flatbed right now. :( what's the degree of difficulty on changing the opti. I called our houston local guru Jerry but haven't gotten any response. Jerry if your out there HELP! Lmao!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update

Thanks for the info guys. Got a call from Jerry and I have decided to do the best thing for my car and my blood pressure. I'm paying jerry to fix it for me! I still have some tracking down to do but at this point I'm leaning toward changing the opti,coil/ignition and maybe plug wires. Yesterday was my birthday so atleast I got to hold on to bday gift cash for a day! Oh well...I still like my car! Lol!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Happy Belated Birthday! :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm leaning toward changing the opti,coil/ignition and maybe plug wires.
Plug wires won't cause the car to not start, unless they are all bad or unless the one plug-like wire from the coil to the opti is bad. Otherwise it'll just run like crap.

Anyway, good luck with Jerry and let us know how out turns out!

Tony

·
Registered
499 Posts
Did you ever pull the codes? A dying opti will throw codes.....the PCM will show loss of signal from the opti. I've had two Optis die on me.....both threw codes. My first one started misfiring......the second one just died completely.

Here is a thread with some codes: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=249721

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update problem found

Thanks for the help guys. It was my icm. I changed it out and back on the road. Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts