Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rebuilding my rear end and trying to locate some diff cover bolts as mine have a non matching one and one other I seem to not be able to locate. I want to put add A little jazz to it. Question: I just received a set of ARP Stainless Steel 12 point (special key or whatever) bolts. They are from summit. They are labeled for GM 10 bolt 8.5. The thread length is .750” from under the head to the end of the bolt. My originals are longer and I read on a forum post the originals are .875 length from under the head to end or 7/8. Is anybody using these? The diff case has a section that is not threaded and the thread starts in a bit. I don’t have the number but guessing .100 at least. I looked on ARP website and they offer the same .750 length bolt. This is a bummer. They came with washers which makes me think using them without to get that extra bit of threadage would Cause them come loose? They are not lock washers. Blue loctite? My concern is them being too short that .125 making stripping possible when I torque my cover along with the gasket. Is anyone using these? Why would they make them shorter for GM 10 bolt 8.5? Would you send them back? Maybe they are not for our cars as other GM 10 bolt 8.5’s have a full thread in the case? I don’t think I can stomach using these. Just wondering if im missing something Besides the full length of bolt thread. Thanks
818829D7-D0C0-4231-8011-7D2B90C696AC.jpeg

94B5699E-43DF-4E4A-9DC7-A089AEC5D514.jpeg

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I would just use them. An 1/8 of an inch is not that big of a difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I agree. No problem. Just torque them down correctly. If you use anti-seize on them (often a good idea with stainless bolts), you should reduce the torque setting by 25%, since the anti-seize acts as a lubricant.

You can do them one-by one. On the other hand, if the differential hasn't been opened up in a long time, open it up and replace the oil and gasket. Might as well--you've got the car up on jackstands anyway for the bolts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the above responses you guys. After some thought and searching, I’ve located a full length 7/8 fastener almost identical to the factory ones and made another purchase. With the factory Limited Slip Tag and the thickness of the parking brake cable bracket and gasket, I’ve decided not to use ARP fasteners. The new bolts I purchased are from River-City Industrial Supply on EBay for anyone interested. They come in a pack of 10 for under $20.00. Thanks

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts