Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a complete diff from a 1993 caprice 9c1/w 3.42, but it need a clutch pack, so can i swap everything i need from my 2.56 g80 in the 3.42?

thanks

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
If the rears are the same size, you can swap them, but you will have to set your gear mesh. You can not just bolt the parts in.

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
2.73 and "lower" were a series III carrier. 2.56 and "Higher" was a Series II. A series II carrier could be used with a series III gear set if you had a spacer ring. I don't know that they still make them or not. Easier just to find a good used posi.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
2.73 and "lower" were a series III carrier.
2.56 and "Higher" was a Series II.
A series II carrier could be used with a series III gear set if you had a spacer ring. I don't know that they still make them or not.
Easier just to find a good used posi.
2.56 is Series II from an 8.5" axle.
2.93, 3.08, 3.23, 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, etc are all Series III from an 8.5".
2.73? No idea if it's Series II or Series III, but it's from a 7.625" axle.

Anything under 3.23 should not even be considered, and only if it originally came with 2.56 or 2.73.

If it originally came with 2.93 or 3.08, you WILL NOT notice 3.23, you might not really notice 3.42, and you might regret not going to 3.73 - even with all the cautions I insist on mentioning about HiWay MpG and the $400 it MIGHT cost to stop your driveshaft impersonating a guitar string.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.73 and "lower" were a series III carrier. 2.56 and "Higher" was a Series II. A series II carrier could be used with a series III gear set if you had a spacer ring. I don't know that they still make them or not. Easier just to find a good used posi.

that'S what i've done , found a 3.42 posi (complete diff) and swapped the whole thing today..feel like a different car..very happy with it..the best part is i pais 80$ for the diff, complete with brakes and all;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts