Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any differances in radiators and fan mounting for the dual electric fans from year to year?

I cant seem to get all the holes in my electric fans to mount up to the corresponding holes in the radiator. The car came missing some fan mounting bolts and now Im wondering if it was because it might have a later model radiator.

:confused:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
It sounds like you might be missing the small metal piece that clips on top of the radiator. Without that, you'll be short 2 mounting points.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
in 94 there is an extra hose that goes from the overflow tank to the radiator that 96 and possibly 95 does not have. I discovered this over the weekend changing my radiator out.
But you can use the 95-96 radiator on the 94 and plug up that extra hose from the over flow tank.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The radiator issue is an interesting one. From the factory there were 4 different radiators used, basically breaks down to the 9C1 radiator without the engine oil cooler and the standard radiator with the engine oil cooler and then as mentioned the ones for the 94 with the hose that goes to the overflow tank and the 95-96 radiator without that hose. The reason for the switch was GM found that extra hose that goes from the radiator to the overflow tank caused potential overheating issues so GM redesigned things and issued a TSB indicating on vehicles effected by it to cut the hose and block it off with an appropriate plug on both ends, and all replacement radiators are the ones without the overflow tank hose connection. Since you have a 9C1 just be sure to get the one without the oil cooler as the radiator with the oil cooler is wider and will have fitment issues with the oil cooler hoses as it is wider than the 9C1 radiator. - Peter

·
Registered
523 Posts
They changed the radiator midway through the 95 model year. My 95 had the extra hose and when I put a radiator in it, I kept thinking they gave me the wrong radiator. Pluggle the hose coming from the overflow but I have an overflow from a 96 waiting to go in.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
You guys realize the OP is asking about mounting the fans, right???

Fuzzcar asked what time it is, and you guys are telling him how to build a watch.cwm6

·
Registered
523 Posts
I thought they were telling him how to build a sammich.
Peanut butta and maasmallo sammich.....ummm oh yeah, he also asked if there was any differences between radiators and you never know who else may need this info and checks out this thread because of the subject

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Is there any differances in radiators and fan mounting for the dual electric fans from year to year?

I cant seem to get all the holes in my electric fans to mount up to the corresponding holes in the radiator. The car came missing some fan mounting bolts and now Im wondering if it was because it might have a later model radiator.

:confused:
What holes aren't mounting right? Did you buy a brand new radiator? If you bought a new radiator it should have come with the mounting brackets for the top and bottom. If you got a used OEM the brackets are usually attached. I have a 9C1 oil cooler but still have the radiator with the oil cooler with no problems with space. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
According to my part sources all 94-96 B & D bodys take the same radiator. Only difference is the with or without engine oil cooler. Either way you go or buy they will both fit with no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts