Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to ACDelco.com, there is only 2 combination valves, J55 and non J55. BUT, after looking at my 1994 Fleetwood with the V4P Towing Package, I have a different one. "JF" is the tag on it. All the rest appear to be "LJ".

Anyone ever notice the tag letters on their combo valve?

Mine seems to have a lot more rear bias than what I hear is on the other non towing package cars. The braking feels balanced to somewhat rear biased. The car is rated to tow 7000#'s, so that would be a good reason to increase rear bias in my book. Last thing you want is too much front bias in a turn with 7000#'s behind you....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Disrequard this, I got the wrong code, yes the V4P and other B/D bodies all have the same combi valve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But they don't. 94-96 maybe, but my 93 did not use the same valve as the 94-96. I found this out while attempting to insert a modified front bolt, as well as removing the rear. The threads were different in the front, and the rear bolt didn't look anything like the pictures. I had to buy a 94-96 valve, THEN modify it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is interesting, I wonder what changed. You have a V4P 93 FW? Or just that 93 didn't share valves with 94-96. Being the brakes were the same size, I am curious of the change.

Was the ABS on the 93 the same 4 channel as 94-96?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Kevin Moore:
But they don't. 94-96 maybe, but my 93 did not use the same valve as the 94-96. I found this out while attempting to insert a modified front bolt, as well as removing the rear. The threads were different in the front, and the rear bolt didn't look anything like the pictures. I had to buy a 94-96 valve, THEN modify it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember right,there was no 4 wheel disc brake option for 93 and the Kelsey Hayes unit was a different unit.
GM still goofed with the 4 disc cars!!!!!The part # for the combi valve is the SAME for all B/D bodies 94-96 regardless of brake configuration.
THATS WHY we have to modify the valve to get our rear brakes to work.
Imagine putting 2000 psi into a drum brake wheel cylinder......You could shoot a stream of fluid 50 feet!
rear calipers don't work real hard with 150 psi....so in comes our Brake Bolt mod and we fix ANOTHER GM GOOF!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fleetwoods got Kelsey-Hayes ABS? I believe the 93 FW had 4-channel ABS (T/C). B-bodies should be Bosch. And 3-channel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.