Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 impala and my differential is shifted 2 inches to the driver side could anyone one help me with this se what could be

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to couple mechanics 1 said is the rear control arms for 500 the other one said is gonna be 2000 to get it fixed because the frame is bent

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Are you able to get under the car and do some of your own measurements?

It's not uncommon for the body to be shifted on the frame of these cars and need to be re-centered. Measuring from the wheel to the fender well (not weld?) could be the body not centered on the frame which is a relatively simple fix.

If you measure from the brake disc to the frame on both sides and find a 2" offset, then you might have bent control arms or a bent frame, but check the body first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks I’ll check that! And I hope is just the arms bent more than likely! Because the rim on the rear passenger also is broke! I honestly think the guy before me was driving like a jackass or doing burn outs! But thank you this has help me I’ll let you know what up in the am

·
Premium Member
5,142 Posts
Upper arms do nearly all the lateral location of the diff on the frame.

One thing to remember, if the difference is 2 inches, the actual shift is 1 inch.

While these cars are notorious for the diff not being dead on and the wheel well to frame measurement not being the same, your 2 inch difference is beyond normal.
As said above the damaged wheel is telling.
Look for buckled, bent upper arms.
The other thing that is common when "curbing " these cars, the entire welded in upper rear crossmember moves sideways.
Look at the frame rails in the wheel wells just ahead of the rear axle centerline.
Where the crossmember welds in, you may see evidence of one side blowed out, the other caved in.
Further checks on rear lower arms.
Diagonal, left front to right rear should be equal to right front to left rear
Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beware of frame rot in the area of the upper control arm mounts for the rear. I've parted out 2 9C1's for this very reason. It sounds more like your car was hit hard in the rear and the axle shifted before you got it. Check for body work and repaint in the area of the damaged wheel. If it's the passenger side it also could have been curbed really hard with no actual body damage. Cornering hard in the rain and loosing traction for example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts