Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got all my stuff to change the fluid and replace the gasket, now my question is did some Impalas have a filler hole? I looked on the cover and there is nothing resembling a filler plug and the back of the pumpkin is nothing except for something that resembles a pen but its looks like a breather valve. Now do I just remove the cover and let everything drip and then on filling, do I just keep the top bolts loosen why I squeeze the fluid in. What is the amount do I put in, 2 litres 75w/90 and 1 additive, right? Thanks, I'm just very overly cautious on this.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
A couple pics from a how to guide I made a few years ago.

I used nearly two bottles, you can see how much was left over on the bottle to the right. + the two bottles of addative.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks man,those pics explains alot. I think its time to clean up my pumpkin area.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Getting ready to do mine as well. What's the consensus with the diff additive? 1 or 2 bottles? A bottle of additive per bottle of lube? And what's the reasoning behind folks different views?

-Mike

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
rear fluid

If you don't want to get a pump, you can do it this way pretty easy. Jack up the car at 4 corners, USE JACKSTANDS and keep the car level. High enuff to be able to let the rear hang down so you can hold the bottle above the pumpkin. It is important to have it level since you just fill up the diiff until the fulid starts to come out of the fill hole. Put your limited slip additive in the qt. (if you have posi) and then get a foot of 3/8" fuel hose. Just slip the hose over the end of the bottle and stick the other end of the hose in the fill plug. It is a slow process of crushing the bottle and then letting in expand back out (Repeat) until all the oil is out. It's thick stuff. About 2 qts. should do it and stop once it is level with the bottom of the fill hole.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
What's the consensus with the diff additive? 1 or 2 bottles? A bottle of additive per bottle of lube? And what's the reasoning behind folks different views?
Mine chattered after 1 bottle when I first did a change way back in the day, since that time I have always used two bottles of the GM "fish oil" additive and never hear a thing. My reasoning anyway.

Just remember, dont go synthetic back there and use the Fel-Pro gasket (but most folks already know this).

I always get the dino GM 75W/90 stuff (which IIRC is actually Exxon SuperFlo) or the Valvoline that 96SSbbb shows (in his killer pics).

Never had a prob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts