Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 Caprice.

Disassembled the headlight switch to clean up the bezel and clean the contacts. When I took out the switch a little ball went flying out. Don't know where it came from.

Anyone know where the ball came out of?
Wood Asphalt Gas Road surface Flooring

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
See that spring sticking up in the rotating part of the switch in the right side of your picture ?
Should sit in there.

The stationary housing will have " ramps " the ball will follow giving you the feel of detents as you turn the knob.

This based on switches in general, as I have not had one of these apart.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Rim Automotive tire Machine Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

If the trace I circled is worn down(plating gone copper showing) you might want to find a replacement switch. Looks like it has seen a few more "night shifts" than other cars.

If that is the headlight trace this is a good example of why even stock headlights should be on relays.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. There are parts like this that can be cleaned, dielectric grease applied, and returned to use. With parts getting harder to obtain and some reproductions being useless, the repair of replaceable units may be a better choice.

I have had several replacement multi function switched break on other cars. I have cleaned and greased the original and reinstalled it. The cleaned OEMs are still working after several more years of use.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Keep looking for a donor, so you can have a replacement handy when it goes out.

Reactions: 9c1_9c6_fan
1 - 6 of 6 Posts