Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is prob. not possible for my car but I was just looking up on the stealth brake mod and was getting curious until I saw you can only do it to all wheel Disc like the Impala od 9C1. That got me thinking, how easy or hard is it to convert to all wheel disc? is it even possbile on my nothing base of the line Caprice?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doing that mod isnt really hard. i did it on my caprice. but you will need basically a donor rearend from a disc car. to do the swap. I lucked up and found someone selling a rearend housing with no internals and convinced them to remove the brakes system and sell it seperately. and when you do that you have to go over every piece with a fine tooth comb to make sure nothing is bad. My honest suggestion to you is: find a wrecked cr in a junkyard and install the entire rearend as opposed to swapping all the parts.
hope this helps.
john

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm not sure if there are any issues with the changeover of rear discs onto the 7.5" rear axle. All disc-brake rear axle assemblies used 8.5" housings, so there may be some differences that prevent a complete, to the last nut & bolt, installation.

If you do decide to find an 8.5" rear disc unit complete, to install in your car, you should also get the driveshaft, since it is a different length than the 7.5" (I think!)....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if for some reason you do the piece by piece conversion on the existing 7.5inch rearend there are no fitment problems. atleast there werent any on my 7.5inch.if you swap the rearends be sure to get the driveshaft and the emergency brake lines. they are very different from the drums to the disc. either way be sure to get the e brake cables. other than that you should be alright. if i can be of anymore assistance , feel free to email me. or post it here.
hope this helps
john

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Camaros have the 7.5 rear and manage to break them our cars are heavier, and even though your car came with a L99 is it going to stay that way? I swapped in a LT1 and plan to get a whole 8.5 rear for discs and durability. I am afraid of what might happen if the LT1 hooks with that little rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.