Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Had you considered a junkyard sender with a walbro pump? Then keep your OEM as the spare.

I have no experience as rust is the factor for me. At 300K miles my DDs are usually rusted out or written off by another driver. I have replaced tanks on older cars but never had the sender or pump fail. The Spectra name is Canadian but the part can be outsourced. I think the USA has a import tariff on Asian parts so Spectra is not used as much.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Yes, I believe you can loosen the gas tank strips enough to pull the wire up through the hole. Any new sending unit you can find is better than a 25-year-old clapped out version.

Nab

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I can pull the entire harness up through the hole in my floor, including the plug.

I would grab a spare junk yard sender, if it's possible for you to find a good one. If not, the Spectra parts are available from RockAuto. Whatever you do, stay far the hell away from and Delphi senders.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks guys. The plan is to overhaul the stock sender with a a new pump or whatever it needs within reason IF/WHEN it fails if that sounds like a viable option? I panic ordered a Dorman sender through RockAuto yesterday to have as a spare in time for my 12 hour drive down to Barber for a track day this Saturday, as Dorman from RockAuto seemed to be the only one I could find in stock and ready to ship without a huge delay. I checked most of the common big chain parts store websites, and all the sending units were out of stock and "call the store to order" - so I wanted to minimize the possibility of being stranded 12 hours from home for a few days waiting on something simple like a sending unit.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Have you considered having a sending unit,and pump preinstalled in another (empty) fuel tank you would just take with you if desired. Yes,it takes up room ,but it wouldn't weigh much. Swapping in/out a tank would be so much easier with another one ready to go.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you considered having a sending unit,and pump preinstalled in another (empty) fuel tank you would just take with you if desired. Yes,it takes up room ,but it wouldn't weigh much. Swapping in/out a tank would be so much easier with another one ready to go.
Tom, are you clownin on me? Haha. The car isn't always this full, but pretty full. Most of the time the bikes stay home, but I'd still be hard pressed to fit a fuel tank somewhere in the mix.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Yep, that's pretty full. I thought about snagging one out of a buddy's totaled B4U just to have upstairs in the garage. Another thought is a small 5-8 gallon fuel cell with bulkhead fitting so it could be lifted in/out if desired. When plugged in ,a flip of a switch activates system like late model trucks that had twin tanks. That would be really slick as well as put you mind at ease. Gives you the freedom to run installed pump until it quits. Maybe never have to actually replace it. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
Your a creative guy, how about dual pumps with check valves ?
Mod sender to mount both , dual harness.
Run one, run other, run both.

Or , simpler, add the second pump on the outside with a second pickup pipe fitted to the sender.

If you have a failure on the track or the road , flip the switch and " I need to fix that when I get home "

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
My system in the wagon , works similar.
My in tank runs free flow to a makeup tank .
Make up overflow returns to bottom of in tank bucket.

Main high pressure pump is in makeup tank and easily accessible.

If my factory in tank pump fails, the HP pump will pull fuel up the return and the car will run.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
So I meant to order one with the pump preinstalled, but now that you say that, I went back and checked - no pump!
It was the price of just the sender that has some of us suggesting a used one. The pumps seem reasonable if they last a while.

One of the best things about adding a fuel cell is that you can run high dollar gas just on the track and run regular on your trips. It would depend on how long you are on the track as to if this is a realistic option. The fuel return lines to a small cell might make it a problem? May not be allowed in the rules?

I had a olds diesel that did about 450 miles on a tank when I needed 500 miles, If it was just a fuel line I would have added a second tank but the fuel return and evaporative emission control system made it expensive and complicated.

If you have a failure on the track or the road , flip the switch and " I need to fix that when I get home "
And get a application for a Jaguar club.:)

A second pump and a electric selector valve would not cost much and would be fairly easy.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Not seeing why same EVAP hose can't simply be run to both tanks as if they were the same tank?

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
You definitely could as long as the aux tank "vent " was tied to the main.
That said, if one was running different types of fuel you might want to stay completly separated.
There are 6 port valves readily available , likely some that would work with high pressures.

That said, i would caution about willy-nilly changing between race fuel and street fuel with out understanding the differences. Specific gravity and a host of other things can change your " tune up" a lot.
Single tank, dual pumps, dual check valves, that's my vote (y)(y)

The jag reference, for those who have not experienced the wonderment of their dual fuel tank system.
They would often have a transfer valve system failure, resulting in one tank being sucked dry while the other overflows all over the ground
" Joseph Lucas , the Prince of Darkness "

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
That would be "awkward" to say the least...

41 - 56 of 56 Posts