Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: please do not try this if you dont have a steady hand, A high pain thresh hold and some upholstry experience. i actually have had lazy upholstery gurus here in miami send every visor that has ever gone thru their shop to me because of how much of a pain in the a** this is to do and have heard many stories of many others doing this as well. this is more of a demonstration than a how to.

sorry for the bad quality. started out with these old things.

start by undoing the fabric from the inner portion of the pivot bar. Note: it is not fastened in. it is just folded neatly. location is shown by my thumb

next start to unfold slowly half way around the left side of the visor until you come to the bottom.

next take a flathead screwdriver and work open the first three clips, as shown. do this extremely carefully as these clips are very fragile and will break. as shown by this ont thats already been half broken.

next is the painful part. there are teeth that hold the fabric in and you will have to be wedging your hands in between these from time to time.

next is the mirror. when you get to the mirror there are more clips. the mirror can stay in till the whole visor has been opened.

keep gently removing the fabric until you reach the end with the clip. at this point the fabric reaches its seam and the next and hardest task is at hand.

this is the hardest part. pulling the pin.

its hiding within these two holes and has to be coaxed out gently because of some fragile clips on the inside of the visor

here you can see the tip of the pin. push it thru and then with some pin tip pliers coax ot out through the hole closest to the edge of the visor.

when you have it all the way out the save the fabric. it is going to be used as a stencil to cut out the suede.

here it is all opened up

this was behind the mirror glass. its cool to know the last time this piece of paper saw the light of day was on this date

as you can see. same foam backed suede that was used for the headliner thread.

step two

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finished product

you want to start from the end where you just pulled the pin. remember the pin goes through the fabric.

next place mirror in. this can actually be the last step if you are not familiar with cutting holes for the mirror

as you go fold the two sides of fabric in onto eachother making sure not to create folds wrinkles or creases in the fabric. you want it to look as flush as possible

pop in your mirror, and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
868 Posts
nice work.
like you said, i've seen some awful looking visors from some decent app. shops.
now i know why.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
I had no idea something as simple as a sunvisor was so complicatedly(?) assembled! Nice walk-thru! :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
wow that looks good man! hopefully one day i can start on converting my interior to black and suede trim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the comments. if anyone needs to send out their visors b/c upholstry shops are charging an arm and a leg, pm me and we can work something out.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey thanks for the write ups Im thinkng about doing my interior myself now with some direction... Do you know of any other sites that sell the foam backed suede in more colors than yourautotrim.com

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
How did you get the vanity out?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I was down at the JY today and experimenting...What I want to do will require the total dissasembly of the unit anyway. So, the whole question has become a moot point.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Im about to send you my visors seriously lol, I effed them all up and they have been sitting around for nearly two years. I tried to recover in suede but soon realized that was a much bigger job then I anticipated.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanx for this thread cause sprayin them black with dye sucked a$$. You were right about the pin, being the hardest part. one down, one to go, the first one was almost perfect and now i have experience... look out now! no really thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts