Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1996 RMW, 1992 OCC
551 Posts
This is my most recent complete 3D printer design:

And this is an early calibration run from a couple years ago:

It has a 24" build surface diameter, and I think it can print up to 27" high (I forget now). That one can do polycarb thanks to the ceramic IR heaters and air filter.

I've also got a dual-extruder core-XY setup that's also in an enclosure. That one I modified from an existing kit. It can technically do polycarb, but it doesn't have an air filter so it generates some pretty noxious air. I tend to use that one mostly for CoPa. My generic 3D printers (Ender 5 Pro, CR-10) I mostly use for simple prototyping with PLA

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Probably thinking something like a Bridgeport?
View attachment 206333
At least that; I was thinking like a real machine tool (with a cast base and traditional cnc "G code" controls). Like I said, I carried my own bias into the conversation, so I was too dense to understand a "4 axis machine" in this context.
This homespun approach is great, just totally foreign to me.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
Checking in...

I had an Audi pop up at the yard that I couldn't ignore, so my Thursday & Friday got occupied.

I promise I will talk to a couple of shops this upcoming week.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Good news:

I found a guy who does chassis fabrication for Mustang race cars. He is going to take a stab at this.

Details coming soon.

Reactions: sherlock9c1

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Good news:

I found a guy who does chassis fabrication for Mustang race cars. He is going to take a stab at this.

Details coming soon.
Man, what an adventure...

Mustang guy came by today and spent a couple of hours. I'm not sure he will be able to make the DMR braces. We did have a good talk about a front frame brace, as I had one sitting here to play with.

So far, I have basically gone to the two machine shops closest to my house. Tomorrow, I am going to go to a shop or two that specifically advertise fabrication services.

Serious question: Would it be possible to make these out of solid aluminum or brass? If so, I can CNC them.

On the front frame brace: I'm about to make a new thread for a GP on those. This will be a triangulated brace that still uses the sway bar holes.

• Love
Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

Isn't there a brace already made for the front?

View attachment 206654
That's the bar that I have here that we were playing with. The issue on our cars is that it contacts the lower radiator hose.

Also, my brace will be "more than that".

I mean triangulation. Potentially utilizing the sway bar mounting holes, the engine crossmember, AND the core support. How bout a sheet metal air dam at the bottom of the radiator support?

Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Why not wood, or plastic?
I already tried that, but they kept breaking during track testing. Eventually I realized they would have to be metal.

I guess you can glue anything you want on your own car, but don't you think some very basic engineering is necessary before you offer things to the public?
No, I don't.

The vision that I have for my company is for customers to be involved in product development on an ongoing basis. That's why I built a forum months ago that will allow me to communicate directly with the people who buy my stuff. This forum is not yet "open", and only a couple of members have seen it.

C'mon man...
Can I help you with something? I don't have a preorder from you, and this is now the second time you have tried to shoot me down in this thread.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I already tried that, but they kept breaking during track testing. Eventually I realized they would have to be metal.

No, I don't.

The vision that I have for my company is for customers to be involved in product development on an ongoing basis. That's why I built a forum months ago that will allow me to communicate directly with the people who buy my stuff. This forum is not yet "open", and only a couple of members have seen it.

Can I help you with something? I don't have a preorder from you, and this is now the second time you have tried to shoot me down in this thread.
Sorry about the "c'mon man", I made an attempt at humor that obviously fell flat.
You are a frequent poster and we have had interesting conversation in the past, so I follow your threads with interest, not for trolling. At the start of this thread I was interested in Dick Miller braces braces, but as you tossed around more do it yourself ideas and copying the work of others, I could see that we don't approach things the same way.
I am sorry if you thought I was shooting you down on the machine tools or the brace materials. Based on my profession and education, I saw it as you making illogical comments that I was trying to understand.
I wish you luck on all of your endeavors.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
but as you tossed around more do it yourself ideas and copying the work of others, I could see that we don't approach things the same way.
If you are expecting someone to produce rear triangulation braces without reverse engineering the DMRs, you will keep expecting.

As soon as my coffee is empty, I'm walking into a tubing fabrication shop.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Today was the single best day yet on this topic.

I met with several different shops today and had some great discussions. This is going to happen, for sure. It's really just going to be a matter of comparing their quotes.

The biggest issue right now is this:

The left and right braces are NOT symmetrical, which is news to me. They really aren't even very close. What's up with that? Is the frame itself asymmetrical, or are the braces poorly made?

One of these shops does super high-end work for aerospace, etc. and the guy was being kind of a grouch about the quality of the braces. He told me, "No, there's no way I can make anything this shitty".

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
The drivetrain does not go down the exact center of the car ,or it's body.
Suspect body is not symmetrical so that other parts can be.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I wouldn't call Dick Miller's braces "shitty" since they fit on my car like a glove

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
While the engine , trans , driveshaft, pinion is offset .5 right ( 1" tape difference ) , pretty positive the rear susp is square.
The cars dont have left and right rear arms .
Will double check the left to right position of upper arm ears later but am 99% they are centered.

When you say they are not symmetrical , are you refering to the shape of the tube ( bend for floor clearance ) or to actual center to center measurements?

101 - 120 of 149 Posts