Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 RMW, 1996 RMW, 1992 OCC
551 Posts
For sure, there's more to it than just triangulation. They need to do their job while accommodating the exhaust system, existing suspension bits, adequate mounting points, etc. Dick Miller isn't some shadetree red neck who slapped together some metal bars, he's a very experienced chassis fabricator who's been figuring this stuff out for endless decades

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
3,000 Posts
I wouldn't call Dick Miller's braces "shitty" since they fit on my car like a glove
The guy makes stuff for space ships. He was referring to the build quality, not the fitment.
When you say they are not symmetrical , are you refering to the shape of the tube ( bend for floor clearance ) or to actual center to center measurements?
Well, I will put them flat on the table and take pics here in a sec.
Dick Miller isn't some shadetree red neck who slapped together some metal bars, he's a very experienced chassis fabricator who's been figuring this stuff out for endless decades
Did Dick bend and weld them himself?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I believe so, it's one of his pet projects during his retirement. He goes into the shop every few months, makes a batch, and then DMR sells them. He just made a batch about a month ago, they have 20 in stock for wagons right now.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Pictured is the wagon version...

We will ignore the obvious inconsistency in the flattened end of the tube. How bout one of the bolt holes being far enough off center that you can see it with the naked eye?

Tableware Wood Bottle Glass bottle Synthetic rubber

Here are the bolt holes at the opposite end:

Automotive tire Wood Rim Auto part Automotive design

For the record, I have two pairs of the wagon version here, and the pair pictured is not even the one that the shop owner was making fun of. Both wagon pairs are flawed. The sedan pair has similar flaws.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
My guess: The stamped or flattened part is not straight.

I think the rest of the piece besides that end is good.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I guess I'm more of a function-over-form kinda guy, especially when it comes to braces that will likely never be seen. Those look fine to me, especially considering the tools that are probably used to make them. As long as they work as advertised and don't cost a small fortune, that's fine by me.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I guess I'm more of a function-over-form kinda guy, especially when it comes to braces that will likely never be seen. Those look fine to me, especially considering the tools that are probably used to make them. As long as they work as advertised and don't cost a small fortune, that's fine by me.
I know they "work", because @The Lazy Destroyer had them on his car.

I don't want to get too far away from my primary question here, which is:

Are the left and right supposed to be asymmetrical, or are they just a little bit "off"?

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Appearance aside, just because the flattened ends are different and the holes are in different places relative to the end and where the flat turns to round does not instantly mean the center to center dimension is different.
Not saying it is or isnt, you need to measure.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
546 Posts
Last I spoke to Dick, he wouldn’t build these himself, he had a fabricator “employee” working for him in his shop, he’d built them using a jig, until his fabricator fell in the deep end after getting a divorce he wouldn’t show up to work, he’d show up off and on.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Last I spoke to Dick, he wouldn’t build these himself, he had a fabricator “employee” working for him in his shop, he’d built them using a jig, until his fabricator fell in the deep end after getting a divorce he wouldn’t show up to work, he’d show up off and on.
This is what I believed to be the case.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Think those arms assembly would go as follows.
Blow a hole somewhere in the squished tube
Bolt the angle in the jig
Grind the tube until the bolt goes in the jig and tube touches the bracket.
Weld it call it done

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Shop claims they are not symmetrical ,yet they fit. If that is true ,and I have no idea if it is. Then I'm suspecting the mounting points are slightly different so the trailing arms can be the same. Whatever the reason ,I'm sure there is one. I don't know where the difference(s) lie ,but it seems like any machine shop should be able to make them. Either by duplicating an existing pair ,or from scratch using an actual car.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
350 Posts
Probably just the way the pic is tilted, but the left one looks slightly shorter from the bend up to the top.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Shop claims they are not symmetrical
The shop didn't "claim" anything. He showed me that they are not symmetrical. Did you see my pics?

View attachment 206662

pulled this picture from an old post here on the forum, they look symmetrical to me.
Um... I have 3 pairs of these, and it took me months to realize that they aren't perfectly symmetrical. I realize they look the same. Did you see my pics?

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Guess I don't see what the problem is. Symmetrical ,or not the parts are different from each other anyway....Most folks don't get into the weeds to this extent. They just want the parts to fit ,and one I got from Dick Miller fit exactly. Couldn't care less if they were perfectly symmetrical.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Let me see if I can clear up some of this confusion...

The shop in question makes stuff with extreme accuracy. Laser/plasma cutting down to thousandths of an inch.

The left and right pieces are different enough that it raises questions about the exact dimensions we want for the new ones. As @buickman1 stated, one is actually longer than the other. I bet you the plated end was done by one person, who did great work, and then the flattened part was done by someone else who was not as careful.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Then put these in the straight section

Engineering Auto part Electric blue Tool Font

edit : or this type
Microphone Audio equipment Office supplies Font Electronic device

Build a better mousetrap .
Perfect fit on each car ,
Allows tighter mounting hole to hardware fit
Edit : thicker mounting ends that allow close fitting hardware to have the frame, bush, bracket to have shank, not thread against them.
Can preload in either direction
Allows for slight end to end clocking
Stops anyone says you are copying DM

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Then put these in the straight section

View attachment 206667

edit : or this type
View attachment 206668
Build a better mousetrap .
Perfect fit on each car ,
Allows tighter mounting hole to hardware fit
Edit : thicker mounting ends that allow close fitting hardware to have the frame, bush, bracket to have shank, not thread against them.
Can preload in either direction
Allows for slight end to end clocking
Stops anyone says you are copying DM
You're saying to basically do a threaded end piece, allowing for some level of adjustment?

121 - 140 of 149 Posts