Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
For budding fabricators, and people generally interested in manufacturing technology, I would HIGHLY recommend attending this year's International Manufacturing Technology Show at McCormick Place in Chicago. Sept. 12-17, 2022.

No, you cannot afford most of the machine tools there, but you can speak to all variety of experts and learn how things are really done. You can take this knowledge (technology and ideas) and scale them down to your own garage.
This is an event for industry insiders, but it is not hard to sign up as your own business:
Caddylack: If you are truly interested, and have trouble registering yourself; I would be willing to provide you credentials through my company.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Ah, yeah.
Single thread would make up for part and car discrepancies.
Double ( Left + Right ) thread would make it so you can preload in the direction you want.
For example, a hard acceleration car tries to pull back on the upper arms so you would preload them short after install.
One thing to mention where these braces will REALLY help is where guys have done the " mini tub" and the rails have lost a lot of cross section.

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
Threaded adjustment was one of the first ideas that I had.

When I brought it up at the first machine shop, they laughed, and the one guy asked me what I did for a living.

I just proposed the threaded/adjustable concept to my current preferred shop, and he said that is probably the best way.

Get ready for the first ever adjustable, pre-loadable, rear frame triangulation braces for this platform.

Oh, I also dropped off my Draw-Tite sedan hitch. My version will be stronger than the Draw-Tite.

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
When I showed these braces to the new shop, it took the guy about 3 seconds to say, "these aren't the same".

1. The angle of the bend is absolutely not the same. I assume this is just a matter of inconsistent quality.

Hood Bumper Grille Automotive exterior Gas

2. One of them is like an inch longer than the other.

Hand tool Tool Sports equipment Bicycle part Guitar accessory

3. One of these braces was repaired before sale. Upon close examination, it is obvious that the tube snapped when it was flattened, and the seam was welded before being powder coated.

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Don't you have access to a car to test fit these bars on?
Maybe there is something wrong with this pair.
However ,if they fit perfectly as mine did?
Then you'll know for sure they have to be the way they are.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
Don't you have access to a car to test fit these bars on?
I only have sedans right now.
Then you'll know for sure they have to be the way they are.
My adjustable and preloadable version completely eliminates the need. I will just need to play around with the different "settings" so that I can instruct buyers.

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
I texted the guy the other day, and he responded right away. I'm just waiting to hear back with an updated timeline.

I want to reiterate that I really like the guy I'm working with now, and I do think this will work out.

·
Premium Member
1995 Roadmaster Sedan
168 Posts
I texted the guy the other day, and he responded right away. I'm just waiting to hear back with an updated timeline.

I want to reiterate that I really like the guy I'm working with now, and I do think this will work out.
Any updates?

·
Registered
Habitual Line-Stepper
2,689 Posts
Any updates?
Nope. I haven't called or texted.
What would be a ball park price range for one? I may do some overtime and set something aside for this.
I'm shooting for somewhere around the price that has been charged by other vendors. Somewhere in the $175-200 range, and shipping will be cheap.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts