Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Yah, my amber DRLs are automatic. When I switch the key on with my right hand, and my left hand automatically pulls the lightswitch out one stop even sooner than the motor catches. :D

I think I heard Canadian ones have DLRs, but IDK if they're the headlights or the blinkers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I know the Canadian ones got DRLs, but I don't think the US ones did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got another question for yall my gas meter dont work its stays on full if i buy another clusters would dat fix dat problem?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
i got another question for yall my gas meter dont work its stays on full if i buy another clusters would dat fix dat problem?
ya man fo so dat wil fix yo problem...

The first step to fixing your problem is fixing your grammar.

To the best of my knowledge, only '96 Fleetwoods had DRL's, at least in the US. In Canada or elsewhere, it may be different.

Your gas gauge issue is most likely with the sending unit in the tank.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Um 95WOOD-, the positive take-away here might be to refrain from texting your posts in. Use a real computer that facilitates what I am sure are your otherwise exemplary spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammar skills. ;)

And yes, it's your sender that's messing with the gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I'm so glad someone else said something about dat...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol i didnt know this was a grammar or spelling class smfh

btw thanks for the info

another quick question would a 95 road master sending unit fit my wood ?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
lol i didnt know this was a grammar or spelling class smfh

another quick question would a 95 road master sending unit fit my wood ?
It will fit, but it will not work correctly. The Fleetwoods used a different sender than the B-body's.

A clear, concise post with proper grammar and spelling is easier to read, less likely to cause confusion and more likely to get quality responses. Those of us who didn't grow up in the world of text messaging don't generally care much for shorthand.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
A clear, concise post with proper grammar and spelling is easier to read, less likely to cause confusion and more likely to get quality responses. Those of us who didn't grow up in the world of text messaging don't generally care much for shorthand.
AMEN!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If I remember correctly, in 1996 (OBDII) DRL's came out on U.S. vehicles, and Canada has had them since 1990.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
come with daytime running lights ?
No, but there was an accessory item, PN 12370131 (according to old parts fiche) that converted the lights to DRL's. Discontinued, of course, but a dealer might happen to have one--there are over 25 dealers around the country that still show to have the kit, many of them in quantity (9 in Alaska, for example). It's a module and wiring kit with instructions, pretty sure. Do not know what the cost is.

The production module (listed as a "package" - implies there is more included than just the module) is PN 12370445 and is still available. It actually comes up on an ACDelco search for 95 model year, even though DRL's weren't standard for US vehicles, but Canada used them, as has been stated, so this may be the service replacement part.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So couldn't you almost simulate DRLs by just using the Twilight sentinel switch just off the notch to the right? Which is exactly what I do and the headlights come on when I start and go off when I immediately shut it down. Or are you only looking for the running lights to be on? The DRLs on my TBSS are the headlights.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It will fit, but it will not work correctly. The Fleetwoods used a different sender than the B-body's.
This has been said before so I just looked it up. Sure enough, different part numbers. What is the difference? Every GM sender I have every encountered has been the 0-80 ohm type. Did they change it to accomodate the electronic dash? Now it is very pertainent as mine has just decided to go to full and stay and I don't think it reflects a "bottom less" tank of fuel. Certainly wasn't very accurate before (in forty years previously I have run out of gas twice. five times since buying the Caddy). Getting tired of carrying a gas can around with me in the trunk and I have two Roady senders on the shelf.

Bill

·
Registered
290 Posts
+1 with all answers given. my 1995 canada fwb has DRLs.

side note contribution: after encountering PWM(not a constant hot side) issues with HID headlights in my GMC Envoy i originally wanted to disable DRLs in my wood. I later had no luck with killing the DRLs/realized the lows have a constant hot/disliked how HIDs look with the old glass lenses.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
I hear it just won't work. Logic don't enter the picture. Now what a guy MIGHT do is look up the thread where a guy laboriously details with pics how he cleaned, soldered and rebuilt the whole sender to perform new again, and translate over his instructions to the FWB unit.

I just figure it's easier to carry a can a gas - I've given it away only once to someone on the side of the road. Building up the karma for when I'm an ahole doncha know.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
So couldn't you almost simulate DRLs by just using the Twilight sentinel switch just off the notch to the right? Which is exactly what I do and the headlights come on when I start and go off when I immediately shut it down. Or are you only looking for the running lights to be on? The DRLs on my TBSS are the headlights.
Chris, nice to see you posting!

If I'm not mistaken, DRL's turn on lamps at the front of the car only--no tail lamps. That's the main difference, I believe. Various lamp configurations seemed to have different lamps used as the DRL's--some are the park/turn lamps, some are low beams on the standard headlamps, run at a reduced wattage.

Later GM cars with DRL's and auto headlamps will initially (I believe) override any switched setting and bring up the headlamps once the sensor tells the system to, based on low ambient light.

I do not think the older (B/D era) Twilight Sentinel will override the manual lamp control being set to the first detent--it gets dark, and the next thing you know, you suddenly realize your "headlights" aren't working too well--or someone is flashing you because you're driving along with only the parking lamps on, or the blue lights are flashing behind you....

Some states have regulations about when/how "parking lamps" (essentially what you're suggesting) are to be used, so that has to be considered as well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I needed a safety check for my car when I bought it, the shop said I needed DLR's (in Canada). So I threw my ball cap over the sentinel sensor on the dash and when the car is put in gear the headlights come on (cause it thinks it is dark out).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts