Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 9c1 , Is it supposed to start in gear? I did a search and found out I can add a Starter Motor Theft Deterrent Relay . I was just wondering!

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
It should only start in neutral or park.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a 95 9c1 , Is it supposed to start in gear? I did a search and found out I can add a Starter Motor Theft Deterrent Relay . I was just wondering!
Is it supposed to? No.

Could it be done w/out swapping to a manual transmission? No.

Could it be done by swapping to a manual transmission w/ the car pointed uphill? No.

Could it be done by swapping to a manual transmission w/ the car pointed downhill? Finally...YES!

Most 9C1 aftermarket anti-theft systems used a toggle switch to lock the column shifter and steering wheel while the car was still idling.

·
Super Moderator
8,898 Posts
I think you're all misreading what he wrote, and I think he connected some things that shouldn't be connected.

1. A starter motor theft deterrent relay simply disables the starter unless you know how to activate it, thereby preventing someone from stealing the car. You can put this on any vehicle you want to, even a schoolbus or a motorcycle or the Oscar Meier Weinermobile.

2. If your car starts in gear, then your PRNDL switch assembly on the steering column is misadjusted.

3. The fact that it's a 9C1 has no bearing on any of this whatsoever.

4. If your car always feels like it's in gear (even in neutral) and won't roll backwards when in R, then the forward clutches in the transmission are fused together and the trans needs to be repaired.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Even more to the point, there's this idea floating around that cop cars don't have neutral safety switches(so cops can restart them if they die in pursuit? I have no idea). So unless I miss my bet he's asking if he could accidentally leave the car in gear, start it by accident and have it roll away(or disable this "feature" by accident?).

Answer, no, if the neutral safety switch they all have is good...and not if you have it hooked up if you moved to a floor shifter.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think you're all misreading what he wrote...
"I have a 95 9c1 , Is it supposed to start in gear?"

Nope. You're mistaken. There isn't any other way to read that. Perhaps you're talking about reading into it. I forgot my crystal ball today.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
"I have a 95 9c1 , Is it supposed to start in gear?"

Nope. You're mistaken. There isn't any other way to read that. Perhaps you're talking about reading into it. I forgot my crystal ball today.
Well yeah, there is:

"Can I start the car with the key while it is in gear?"

or

"Can the car be push started?"

In both cases the answer should be "no", but for different reasons...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i seen one start in gear an hit my damn car. the neutral safety switch wire makes that happen

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok , So I have a 95 9c1 , I can put it in gear turn the key and the starter will start. I did not know if a 9c1 was different and it was supposed to do that for some police reason?

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
The only car in this family (91-96 "B") that has a neutral safety ( or PRNDL switch assembly ) switch is a 96 Impala. ( mounted on floor shifter)
All the others use a physical lockout that prevents the key cylinder from rotating in anything but the park or neutral position in the column.

"Could it be done by swapping to a manual transmission w/ the car pointed uphill? No."
Have you never jumped a car in reverse??

As for the original question about the theft deterrent relay,
The SEO cars had the VATs disabled
The the key cylinder wires to the vats module were jumped at the factory so the module learned it and sends the injector enable signal to the PCM without a coded key. The relay that would prevent cranking in a non SEO car when VATs saw an incorrect resistance from the key is not installed in the SEO cars .
The start wire goes directly from ign switch to starter.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info thanks! I just had a 96 floor shifter and a 96 steering column put in and it still starts in gear to. My old column was pretty busted up. I am sure that is why it started in gear. I still have to wire the shifter . From what I read it sounds like even after I wire the shifter my car will still start in gear? I have to add in some sort of relay from a 96 ss? Or once the shifter is wired up it will all work correct?

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Two questions

Does your car still have the back drive rod up to the column making it rotate when you shift the floor shift?

Do you have the Impala park-neut-rev lamp switch mounted down on the shifter?

Drop me an email at wcharles ( at ) shaw.ca

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
So 91-93 all and 96 Imp have a neural safety switch, but not 94-96 B/D bodies? Has to be, because I remember putting a couple such switches in early Roadies and Caprice with skirts.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
So 91-93 all and 96 Imp have a neural safety switch, but not 94-96 B/D bodies? Has to be, because I remember putting a couple such switches in early Roadies and Caprice with skirts.
How many wires went to the switch you changed?
Were any heavy guage yellow or Purple?
I ask because I am pretty sure the change to mech lockout was done way prior to this body style.
While there is a multifunction switch it doesn't inhibit the starter

Park neutral signal the PCM yes ,but no actual control of cranking
rev lamps
power lock control
seat belt

Gerry

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Man, it's too many years ago, but I did google the switch just now and one that looks right, labeled as a Neutral Safety, does come up. 91-92-93. I suppose I might be wrong but I was sure that's what it was and it fixed a start-in-drive condition....

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
They also say that part fits a 96 impala
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/NeutralSafetySwitch/Chevy/Impala/1AZNS00200/297645/1996

And 76 to 96 caprice
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/NeutralSafetySwitch/Chevy/Caprice/1AZNS00200/297641

I tend to find the factory parts book more reliable

I also find that failing neutral safety switches tend to not start, rather than start in other gears,
That typically is maladjustment, which tends to get "fixed" when the switch is replaced.

Anyway, the original question has been addressed.

You say a 91-93 has an actual neutral safety switch that interrupts current flow in other positions than park and neutral .
My information , GM parts and Mitchell On Demand wiring diagrams suggests otherwise.
Even the Factory 1985 "B" car manual I looked in shows a direct connection from ignition to starter, while the older 1978 book shows and speaks of the neutral safety switch.

Gerry

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Considering I said it was a looong time ago, I might have been wrong, and it had nothing to do with the question it all works out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts