Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies dad said that by doing a reverse 180, it'll screw up your alignment. He has a 95 P71 Vic. I can't really think of anything that would get hurt to bad. You're tires are sliding and taking most of the abuse. Any input?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A reverse 180? As in a J-turn? I don't see why that'd screw up your alignment as those settings are set and are not supposed to be able to change w/o physically unbolting the a-arm cross shafts and tie-rod ends, and moving them manually.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe if you hit a curb pretty hard while doing it.

I think the problem comes when you start doing burnouts in reverse. I don't think that's good for your suspension. Now if I could find the post where I read that...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rockford could always drive straight after doing one... ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 9C1scott:
Maybe if you hit a curb pretty hard while doing it.

I think the problem comes when you start doing burnouts in reverse. I don't think that's good for your suspension. Now if I could find the post where I read that...
I don't know about the suspension, but the ring-and-pinion in the rear end is set up to only take major torque while going forward. Probably wouldn't hurt much, but may chew on the gears a bit.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Brandon9C1:
I don't know about the suspension, but the ring-and-pinion in the rear end is set up to only take major torque while going forward. Probably wouldn't hurt much, but may chew on the gears a bit.
Yeah, that's what I meant... that and the U-joints.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you say Bye Bye Posi? Probably bad for the bearings as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the rear suspension geometry is pretty prone to axle hop if you do a hard enough reverse burnout, and the gears don't like it...but I also can't see anything that doesn't cause a hard impact doing any damage to your allignment settings other than driving a ton and wearing parts out over the course of thousands of miles.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a reverse burnout, but flying backward, cutting the wheel and spinning the front end around facing forward.
Yeah, Rockford style :D .

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have to ask if it will f*ck up something on your car, well you probably shouldn't do it anyways....and where are you going to try it? The freeway? Just doesn't sound like a good idea, and I think the alignment should be the least of your worries if you wanted to try some stuntman sh*t like that.

PS> If you do, for some crazy reason, decide to do it. Make sure to get it on vid, and post it here :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, my buddy does it all the time in his 95 P71 Vic. He has to chase those damn hubcaps around all the time
. He does it in big open parking lots.
I just got a video camera and another friend of mine has a system on his computer to make his own DVD's. They come out pretty damn good, too. We're going to make some videos doing that and some other stupid stuff (track video's, going ripping in open fields sliding around, shooting at targets from the car, hood sliding, etc.. You know, normal activites :D ;)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as long as nothing is worn out in the front end you should be fine. i like doing that in the snow. and if you go fast enough, and can pop it into nuetral while cranking the wheel very fast the other way you can pull off a 360!

ask me how i know that ;)

ill try to get that one on video some time. but it will probably be in a smaller car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts