Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some pondering on my drive home last night, and I got to thinking about my heater core. It's old, and has a lot of miles on it. I got to wondering, if the heater core blows, could a person just vice grip off the hoses after the expansion tank Tee as a "get home" repair, or would the hoses need to be looped so that coolant is still flowing through them? Do the heater hoses NEED to be a flowing part of the system, or can they be blocked off as long as the expansion tank is still in the system? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Heater hose question

I installed a valve into the heater hose circuit mostly to prevent hot coolant flowing through the heater core during the summer months. Works like a charm...

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I was doing some pondering on my drive home last night, and I got to thinking about my heater core. It's old, and has a lot of miles on it. I got to wondering, if the heater core blows, could a person just vice grip off the hoses after the expansion tank Tee as a "get home" repair, or would the hoses need to be looped so that coolant is still flowing through them? Do the heater hoses NEED to be a flowing part of the system, or can they be blocked off as long as the expansion tank is still in the system? Thanks for the info.
I would suspect you could loop the 2 heater hoses between the Resevoir tank and the Firewall Fittings in this scenario. Which is what it does anyway...its just flows in and out of the Heater Core. The expansion tank is part of the Heater hoses at the Tee fitting so removing the hoses in between the water Pump and the resevoir would pretty much bypass the resevoir.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Coolant does not have to flow through the heater hoses when the engine is running. The 91s have a vacuum operated valve that diverts the coolant. the rest have an in line restrictor.

You could clamp off the hoses without harm to the engine. Although a valve will keep coolant from going through the core when closed, using a valve on one hose will not stop the flow to the core if there is a leak. The coolant will back up into the core through the other hose. You would have to install one in each side to stop the flow.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I've had to clamp off regular heater hoses before, I wasn't sure if it could also be done with our reverse flow system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts