Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
i use my 95 RMW with 158,000 miles for a daily driver. 30 below to 107 above so far.

the parts are cheap, the motors are cheap, the labor is cheap compared to a new car if you can't do it yourself. even at that, they are easy enuff to work on yourself if you're a novice

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a older couple that is selling it, it was the wifes work car 96 impala ss, they already had the trans rebuilt six months ago, it just the motor has 220,000 mi and im not thinking it very reliable. I also dont want another project car if you know what i mean, my caprice with the stroker taking my money lol

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Going to come down to previous car of the car which might be OK if it is one owner at that mileage and YOUR skill in maintaining it.

My first wagon I bought at 172K and drove till 227K when I hit a deer. Took it to the East Coast with over 200K on it, wonderfully reliable car.
I bought a 125K wagon to replace it that was a "vacation car" for the old owner and sat too much and it caused me some headaches because of it, the first year I owned it it was LESS reliable than the other two cars. Was not misstreated or anything, just electrical gremlins from sitting too much, rust from sitting too much, stuck fasteners from sitting too much.

I would not pay $3500 for a 220K mile car though.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
$3500 is a bit rich for over 200k miles - but provided the car is clean rust wise I'd buy it.

Wiggle 25 $100 bills in front of them and start haggling from there.

When I lost mine it had 213k and still solid as a rock without one speck of rust - discounting the bare iron stuff. And I agree, they won't die. Considering when they were made they are still a damn solid car.

Everyday driver? Your nose is getting longer. I surely wouldn't put a 'stock' rebuilt motor in it.

"But honey, it's just a 'little' camshaft...."

She doesn't have to know about the screw-in-studs, 1.6 rockers, springs, dual roller chain.... 6-speed....

Just be prepared to 'duck'

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Personally, I think that is a very decent price if it is in good condition and especially if you know the previous owner. The mileage may be high, but if it has been maintained, then it should be alright. Offer $3,000 cash, and I bet they'll bite.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
look under the car for rust. check the tire thread, check if there any spare tires, crack leather seat, a.c works? (dont listen to that "JUST NEED FREON" bull**** ) power steering make noise? check engine light? alignment? body damage? BONDO BUCKET??? (IMPORTANT!)

·
Registered
438 Posts
My 96 had ~285k before I pulled the original motor from it. It still got 40psi, and ripped off 14.50's all day. Was in the family since new, it was properly maintained. I rebuilt the original trans somewhere north of 220k in 2004, and the original posi rear was still spinning both meats prior to the gear & Eaton addition last year. It was beaten on in the snow and sunshine, and always left a smile on my face. DO IT.

$3500 is a STEAL IMO for a 96SS

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
3500 is about right for blue book value, if it's in excellent condition (ac works, no damage/rust, no rips in seats).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
3500 is about right for blue book value, if it's in excellent condition (ac works, no damage/rust, no rips in seats).
true. plus alot of people in south florida who sell their impala SS with over 180K miles still try to sell it for 5000 plus. we would be lucky to get an impala for 3500 regardless what the miles read. that's a steal to me. the caprice i have was bought from the previous owner for 5 thousand and it isnt a impala ss but it's completely orginial 95 with 103k miles leather seat power for everything. LT1 tow package edition came with a 2.93 posi gear. CLEAN.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
there is no such thing as a running $2000 96 ss impala, if the motor runs strong and the car is in good condition, its a deal at $3000. 96 is the best year to get,these cars are getting harder and harder to find, the mileage isnt that big a deal if the car was well maintained. i paid $5000 for my 96 with 150k miles 1 owner always in fl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.