Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering changing to a 160 degree thermostat when I do Bryan's OBD-1 PCM conversion. However, I am concerned that running at 160 degrees will mean that the heater/defrost won't blow warm air in the winter months.

10 years ago, I put a 160 degree T/S along with a Hypertech stage 2 chip into a Chevy 350 PU, and I froze my butt off during the winter.

1) Will this be a problem in the Impala?
2) What is the stock T/S switching temperature?
3) Who has a good price on a quality 160 T/S?
4) Will this change make a significant performance difference?

I hope that this is the proper place to post acooling question. Thanks for your help.

Terry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A 160 deg stat in a reverse cooled engine is not a radical step. Your experience with your pickup is to be expected; 160 deg in a conventional cooling flow system is too cold.
I barely notice the difference in heater output in my Impala with the 160. In my pickup with the Vortec 350 (conventional cooling flow), going from the factory stat (about 195) to a 180 caused a much more noticeable drop in heater output.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive run the 160 stat in my car and my pickup for a couple years now and they both have good heat. I do add cardboard infront of the radiators dureing the winter cause it gets so darn cold here!
I ran my truck all last winter with no fan, but had to put it back on come spring.
its a member of the 200k mile club.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about performance difference? What about emissions? I've been told the 160 stat will set off the SES, too. Is that only with the stock programming?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The performance gain seen with a 160* stat is from the more aggressive timing the cooler temps allow, which needs to be programmed in. I have never heard of emmisions problems from this mod. The SES light with a cooler stat was on older vehicles that needed higher temps to go into closed loop. If the O2s are up to temp the LT1 can go closed loop at a coolant temp of less than 100* so that isn't a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.