Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Amazon.com: JEGS Performance Products 30410 Cat-Back Exhaust System: Automotive

Just posted this to see if anyone here is running this product.

Looking to put this on my dads 95 9c1. This is a store brand catback system . Jegs told me it comes with thrush mufflers and is loud like the 40 series flowmaster. I am looking for a loud catback system that is under 300$ . I checked all the other manufactures out and don't like them... So I located this at jegs. I also called summit but they don't have a store brand catback system that is around 300$ Cause I like summit cause they give me special deals and discounts rather then jegs.

I have a couple questions.
-Is this loud and sounding like the flowmaster 40s?
-Is 2.5 size diameter be too large and may rub around the axel in any sort in the future??
-Also does anyone have a sound clip of it on there car?
-And can you offer any suggestions , opinions or ideas about this product?

Thanks

Also just found out flowmaster discontinued their catback sys for our cars

·
Registered
8,484 Posts
SynthMan;11456681-Is 2.5 size diameter be too large and may rub around the axel in any sort in the future?? [/QUOTE said:
for me, 2 1/2" exhaust posed not problems including the over axle part

I would think someone else has the Jegs system and can answer the rest of your ?'s

If the Thrush mufflers are a clone of the FM 40 series, 2 chamber, they should be loud.

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts
.......I have a couple questions.
-Is this loud and sounding like the flowmaster 40s?
-Is 2.5 size diameter be too large and may rub around the axel in any sort in the future??.......
I doubt seriously that these will be as loud as flowmaster.

Also.....almost all the performance cat-backs for our cars are 2 1/2". The only way that this system won't fit is if Jeg's contracted for a product where the original manufacturer completely blew it on the specs. And Jegs is better than that.

I think it'll fit fine ;) !

KW

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have this exact system on my SS I think it sounds great it was easy to install but I have a lift I also welded up all the pipes but not the mufflers for easy replacement if necessary This is a very good deal I thought I did well and paid about $100.00 more here is a sound clip of mine.
http://vid1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/poppa1946/CAM00203_zpsd07a25b0.mp4

Sounds great thanks , that is almost like a flowmaster aggressive sound..... When you get a chance I would be excited to hear a drive off sound clip or drive by also :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds great thanks , that is almost like a flowmaster aggressive sound..... When you get a chance I would be excited to hear a drive off sound clip or drive by also :)
Sorry I don't have the ability to do a drive by as I don't have anyone to take the video. Sounds stupid I know but I am a grumpy old man that lives alone and likes it that way. Trust me it sounds really sweet going through the gears.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I don't have the ability to do a drive by as I don't have anyone to take the video. Sounds stupid I know but I am a grumpy old man that lives alone and likes it that way. Trust me it sounds really sweet going through the gears.
no prob. Im a grumpy young man lol I totally agree, nothing wrong with keeping a low profile...lol

Your ride sounds awesome , good setup

·
Registered
6,949 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it's definitely good for the price, unless Jegs changed their supplier, it's made by Heartthrob exhaust.

http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/2009496p.html

Their HVS muffler kinda looks like a Flowmaster inside

thanks for that info. I just called Jermey and spoke with him at heartthrob...very nice people. They told me its not as loud as the FM but its double wrapped for spound suppression.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Add a crossover pipe where the two after cat pipes come back together at the tailshaft area. I have 2 cars with this on them and love the sound. The H pipe adds a bit of midrange power to the whole package when run with cats and manifolds.

I have a third car here and another new Jegs system on the floor when the trans gets swapped this weekend.

Chris

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Add a crossover pipe where the two after cat pipes come back together at the tailshaft area. I have 2 cars with this on them and love the sound. The H pipe adds a bit of midrange power to the whole package when run with cats and manifolds.

I have a third car here and another new Jegs system on the floor when the trans gets swapped this weekend.

Chris

Thanks good idea will do in the future. I am just waiting on this present exhaust to rust completely then I will pick up a catback lol

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
...-Is 2.5 size diameter be too large and may rub around the axel in any sort in the future??

-And can you offer any suggestions , opinions or ideas about this product?
I had this Jegs budget system installed on a lowered 94 SS for a while. It comes in more individual pieces than the other systems, which could be a good or bad thing depending upon how much fiddling you like to do. It will require more time/care to ensure that everything gets aligned properly to keep it from hanging low, rattling, contacting the suspension at full compression, etc. However, on the other hand, those extra adjustment points do allow you to tweak its fit more than the other catbacks.

Sound was good. Not quiet, but not obnoxious, either.

Overall build quality was probably on the lower end of the scale compared to all of the systems that are (or have been) available for the B-Body, although that's to be expected for the price.

I don't think the aluminizing is quite as thick as you'd find on the Flowmaster or Dynomax catbacks, as the Jegs/Heartthrob kit rusted faster than the Flowmaster system I had on my '04 GTO.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had this Jegs budget system installed on a lowered 94 SS for a while. It comes in more individual pieces than the other systems, which could be a good or bad thing depending upon how much fiddling you like to do. It will require more time/care to ensure that everything gets aligned properly to keep it from hanging low, rattling, contacting the suspension at full compression, etc. However, on the other hand, those extra adjustment points do allow you to tweak its fit more than the other catbacks.

Sound was good. Not quiet, but not obnoxious, either.

Overall build quality was probably on the lower end of the scale compared to all of the systems that are (or have been) available for the B-Body, although that's to be expected for the price.

I don't think the aluminizing is quite as thick as you'd find on the Flowmaster or Dynomax catbacks, as the Jegs/Heartthrob kit rusted faster than the Flowmaster system I had on my '04 GTO.

Thanks for the details. I was worried that with assembled catback system you can get sound issues cause they are connected with slip fits and clamps versus have a one piece exhaust piping welded weld .
More vibrations eventually

1 - 20 of 26 Posts