Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my car has been driving me CRAZY when I'm on the highway and hit a grove in the road and then WHOOOM it sends my car to the left or right and I have to hold on to the wheel with both hands to keep it going straight. At first I thought it was my Moog idler arm that might be worn so I replaced it with a new one. Nope. Problem is still there. Also, while my car was on the lift, I noticed that pass side outer tie rod was bent...just a little though.

My front suspension parts are all pretty much stock with 140k miles on them and I know bilstein shocks and Hotchkis springs didn't really help them as far as wearing out quicker.

I wanna get some new parts for the front end cause the way she's driving now is getting dangerous. I was thinking of going with all Moog parts or maybe even stock AC Delco parts for the front end. Anyone ever used Moog parts to rebuild their front end?

TIA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lenny I had that same issue with the highway crowns.

I spoke to Zach at Power Performance, and got all parts from him. I got all four balljoints, tie rod ends, center link and idler arm. His balljoints are awesome compared to anything I've ever seen. I did all of this last August and the car felt great. No more pulling when driving on a crown or grooves.

Now that I just did Bilsteins and Vogtlans the car handles like a dream. The only thing I don't like is; since the new springs I've noticed I have to mess with the wheel more. By that I mean the steering wheel requires more attention when driving.

I would talk with Zach for at least the balljoints.

Good Luck,
Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#10000 - short answer is - yes. Probably need the works at 140k - control arm bushings, ball joints, center link, tie rod ends, etc from the frame out.

XR72Z - if springs changed your ride height any, you need an alignment check.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea with that many miles i would do it all ,just redid everything on the front of mine along with 4 new shocks and it drives like a new car ,even before the alignment as for the outer tie rod being bent ,its supose to be that way

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you recently put new tires on? When I put my Kumho's on last year, it tracked like a mother. Got used to it, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump up the tires Pressure to or close to the max. air pressure on the sidewall.. Im runnin 40 PSI in the crappy BFG KWDS and the Pala is less dangerous on the highway, less likey to change lanes w/o notice.

To be sure front end components are worn, Jack up the front of the car and check for play in the wheels, Its easy. Wiggle from top to bottom, side to side. Of there is play, parts a loose, check to see what parts are loose. Like Ball joints, Tie rods, the center link, etc. At 140k I bet everything is toast... Inspect your steering shaft also, Grab the shaft near the rag joint and see if it can be moved side to side really easy. If that shady is worn the car will also cause it to track bad. Having a "Dead spot" in the steering wheel will also let you know the steering shaft is worn.

If you get new front end parts, paint them so they wont rust.

Ask me how I know! LOL.. I have two front ends to rebuild and de rust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by BBBrian_:
Having a "Dead spot" in the steering wheel will also let you know the steering shaft is worn.
WTF is a "dead spot"?

And Zack, I'm still waiting for the responce to my email. Cmon bro!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Ram Air 383:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Member # 10000:
WTF is a "dead spot"?
It means there is some slack in the steering wheel before it starts turning wheels. </font>[/QUOTE]OOOOOOhhhhh.... Well I HAVE THAT!!!

Zack, thanks for your reply, now I just have to decide if it's worth the extra money to get the AluminAce Bushings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.