Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Does nitrous "count"? Your thoughts ...

7K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  B. Campbell 
#1 ·
I have a good friend who bracket races a '69 Camaro. He used to run in Stock Eliminator (4-speed car with a Jerico) but costs got too high so he runs a SBC with a solid roller now locally and goes low 7s I guess. I just picked up my '95 SS and was telling him all about it and that it has went a best of 7.00 in the 1/8. His response was "oh ... that's on nitrous so it doesn't really count". :confused: Sure, it's a power adder but his solid roller cam with ungodly lift or the fact that his car is 600+ lbs. lighter than mine are factors as well. I've heard that thought process before that nitrous "unlevels" the playing field but am curious what others think and where that train of thought comes from. I don't personally care. It's a bolt-on, it makes the car faster, and I can consistently use it bracket racing provided the car is dialed in and all of the safety precautions have been taken. Anyone have any 2 cents on this?

#2 ·
Tell him STFU..... but not in that matter as it might ruin your freindship.

How doesnt that not count?

Pro Mod guys run N20, guys at my local track run 3 stage foggers.

Plus I sure hope his car is running 7s in the 1/4, becuase you compared your car to his weight wise.

We run a 250 shot on our racecar theres a guy who keeps talkin ish about us hes running what we are running on motor. Granted hes a BBC tubbed and we are SBC on 10.5s with a backyard motor. Funny thing is hes scared to run us, but rambles on from time to time.

Personaly imho it doesnt matter.

#3 ·
I guess I'm on the fence on the 'nazz' issue...

* If you are 'class' racing, I think you should stay in the (arbitrary, but agreed to) limits of that particular class. Obvioulsy, stacking my 4200# street Imp up against my neighbors 1-piece, fiberglass bodied IHRA funny car (7.7L Dart block, Simons (70psi) blower, 7-plate dry clutch, '2-speed' (w/ 150# nitrogen charged 'shift forks'), 30 gallon-per-minute fuel pump) that runs a 5.54/214 quarter mile, is not going to result in a 'fair' 'class' race...

* If you are 'bracket' racing, WTF diff' does it make?
. Bracket racing is all about C O N S I S T A N C Y

* If you are 'grudge', 'street' (take it to the track), or 'bragging rights' racing... gentlemen, run what ya brung. "No holds barred and may the Devil take the hind-most." If he sprays you, well either step up or pay up.

The local "Mudstain" boys have a street-legal, daily driven, emissions passing, full interior, full caged, 4-banger that leaves the tree on the left rear tire! I think it's in the "high 7's." They built it to screw with the NOPI boys at the 'tuner events'. For 'grins' they bought a used 'POS' mom & pop Acura and started with a 50 shot (at the track - no they did not tell the track what they were doing). It survived that, so they jetted it for a 100 shot, etc, etc, etc (this is all in the same night, so this motor & tranny is taking an A$$ BEATING.) When it finally puked parts and oil all over about the 990 foot point of the track, it was jetted for a 300 shot! On a BONE STOCK car.

So I guess it's up to 'personal preference' and what we have agreed (or not) as to what the 'rules of engagement' will be.

$0.02

#4 ·
YES it matters. It doesnt matter to him because he is probably afraid to use. I hear it all the time in where i race. Ask him who is smarter the guy who goes 9.00 at 3000lbs or 4000lbs. bottom line your getting it done. Hell next thing he will say is a turbo is not a power adder!

#5 ·
Sure, nitrous counts, but it is harder to dial-in a "street" type car on nitrous, and be consistent in the brackets.

I've won a bunch of bracket races, and I can count on one hand the number of cars spraying, that have beaten me, when it mattered.:D FWIW

#6 ·
My buddy is my best friend in the world. He's been with me through very bad times when others have turned their backs. I wasn't aiming any bad intentions at him; just curious as to where his, and others, thought process comes from. BTW, his Camaro runs low 7s in the 1/8 mile and he amazes me at how consistent it is with the Jerico. He let me drive it one time and it was WAY too much work and FAR too confusing for me to figure out. cwm3

I agree that at times, depending on the class, it just doesn't work. For example, NHRA Pro Stock cars can't run it. Their rules don't allow them to use it of course. However, if you're bracket racing, and think you can get it consistent assuming proper bottle pressure and you have all the other bells and whistles for safety and performance then what difference does it make compared to a solid roller, bigger carburetor, lighter car, blower, ... etc.?

I do think some people are ignorant about how it works and are also afraid of all of the expense (a complete system costs more than just what a kit is) and don't understand how to PROPERLY wire and install all of the components.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on this. I do plan to keep it on the car and see how consistent I can be running it all the time.

#9 ·
2 cents and then I'll stop.

Does it count that you most likely weigh 1000 or more pounds than his cars does? Bring the salt bags with you to the track next time you both go and load his car up to your cars weight. Now his car all the sudden it's all that fast anymore and his engine isn't all that good anymore.

I will never understand why people, more so racers, talk power but leave out what their car weighs or the weight difference between two cars and then want to compare engines as the ligher car being more powerful. 1000 pounds difference is a second of time in the 1/4 mile so bring the salt bags and show him what he really has. This is like the LTX shoot out where it's a bunch of Camero's with a 3100 weight limit and the goof balls want it lowered, they still can't run an eight.

Spray away as that same logic will say aftermarket heads are not a real run or a sheetmetal intake is not a real run, it's all based on what the guy saying it doesn't have on his motor. Power is power no matter how you get there.

Make the car weigh equal and then talk engines and power. Salt bags bring reality home real quick.

#18 ·
This is like the LTX shoot out where it's a bunch of Camero's with a 3100 weight limit and the goof balls want it lowered, they still can't run an eight.
Hey Jeff, ease up on the F-body guys. They're already steamed as it is because their mullets barely fit in their tiny little girl cars. If they get beat by a four door grandpa car, they'll never be able to show their faces in the Wal-Mart parking lot ever again!

As far as nitrous goes...I don't know if it "counts", but it sure is fun. :D

#10 ·
Bracket racing and nitrous, not a good combination. Nitrous is good for heads up/all out racing but for consistency, don't run the bottle.

#11 ·
The only thing that counts is the clock.

IMO, of course.

#12 · (Edited)
Whoever the hell started the whole thing that nitrous is 'cheating' is/was a moron.

It's another way of going fast. It's not magic...it isn't ALWAYS necessarily cheaper than other ways of going fast....and even when it is, nobody tells the guy with the home ported iron heads on the junkyard 454 bigblock in the Nova that he's cheating when he goes faster than the callies bottom ended, AFR headed smallblock in the Chevelle.

What GuillaumeC said, all that matters is the clock.

#13 ·
A friend of mine has this for a signature on another forum:

"As for your car; I don't care if it runs on race gas, pump gas, or horse piss. I dont care if its sitting on slicks radials or water skis. Makes no difference to me."

:D

#14 ·
Eh, it's all BS. The name of the game is going faster within the rules. You're either winning or your losing. All other talk is pure whining. Some folks just have a woodie for "All motor" cars. OK, as a long time hot rodder I agree that getting it done all motor provides a lil more bragging rights but that's not to say any power adders should be dismissed. At the end of the day, some people are stupid and it can't be helped, LOL

#15 ·
i especially love when turbo/blower guys cry about nitrous. when they say to unhook the bottle. i say "sure, let me cut your blower belt or take off your up pipe"

#17 ·
I've seen guys trash nitrous and then turn around and say "big blocks should be for trucks only" when they get stomped by a big motor. Mostly just excuses IMO

#21 ·
Many are correct. Juice is hard to dial in. But it can be done. But as far as using Nitrous...well, he sounds like a Mustang Cobra guy. They have to be boosted to keep up, then complain that they have less cubic inches. WHATEVER!!!!
Run whatcha brung!!!!

My wifes ImpSS is very inconsistant. I can't get it to run within 2 tenths every run. But she's mainly a heads up car. 4200lbs, Full interior, mild setup, stock 170k mile bottom end on a 150 shot. Going against your basic streetcars??? well, 7.49 in the 1/8th is respectable. But the new build is in the works. Lookin for 7.50's all motor, then the 150 shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.