Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Impala SS and I'm doing an LS1 swap in a couple of weeks. The Lt1 and transmission are both stock with 72k miles in perfect running condition.. If I try to sell them, what do think they are worth?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My guess would be 1000-1500 for each or 2200-2800 for the pair seems to be the norm. The question is: Why are you taking out a perfectly running LT1 and 4l60-E? Did you get the LS stuff for free? I would think if you spent half of what you spent on that LS stuff back into the LT1, you could have a very strong motor and tranny combo that was gonna last at least another 70k, probably more... I don't know, it just seems to me that this is happening way too often with our cars.

Good luck with the swap,
Tony

P.S.: if you need to get rid of the A/C compressor, lemme know;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Easy

The man wants a more updated and powerful combo.Just because you wouldnt doesnt mean everbody else dont.Its his situation you sound like a disguntled grandpa

·
Registered
140 Posts
The man wants a more updated and powerful combo.Just because you wouldnt doesnt mean everbody else dont.Its his situation you sound like a disguntled grandpa
If swapping out a perfectly good motor for another good motor just cause it makes a little more power out of the box makes me a "disgruntled" grandpa... so be it. I just don't see the point, the computer, wiring, tranny computer, there's a lot involved to this swap. just seems like there is a lot more potential to the LT1 than people give it credit for. Mod for mod the price has come down for LS based stuff, but when you have a nearly 300hp/330tq motor already in there, I would think I would start there...

Tony

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
What engine/tranny combo will you be installing?

·
Registered
346 Posts
where are you located?

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Consider yourself lucky if you get $700 for both the motor and the tranny.
Iron headed LT1s and their 4L60Es are not in high demand.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Consider yourself lucky if you get $700 for both the motor and the tranny.
Iron headed LT1s and their 4L60Es are not in high demand.
Yup, If i hang onto a motor and tranny for a month I can usually get about that for it. 5.3 and 6.0 motors are so readily available for only a few bucks more that the value of a B-body drive line is shrinking fast

Doug

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I can pick up low mile 4L60E around here for $250-350 all day long. Just bought a 95 for $280 a few weeks ago.

LT1, with aluminum heads and decent miles sell for $600-750. Have seen whole swaps for engine/tranny/harness/computer from 94-96 vettes sell for under and around a grand.

and dont kid yourself about the LS engines. yea, 300hp sitting there isnt a bad start... but to get it to 450ish takes a LOT more money in a LT1, than a LS base. on top of that, the LS is 10x more reliable.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Everything together and all is bone stock, PCM/harness engine/trans I would say $800.00 tops.. LSX took over big!!!! I need some LSX in my lifecwm4cwm4 good luck with sale and swap..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the input everyone. I knew the LT1 was far from in high demand and wouldn't be worth much. Lets just put it this way, I got a really good deal on an LS1 that already had a lot of work done by a local shop that builds custom racing engines. dyno at 450 and was dropped in a 98 corvette that did 11's in the 1/4 mile. pretty excited about it. Its been a fun project so far. Ill throw some pics up when its done.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm located in Sarasota, FL

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and dont kid yourself about the LS engines. yea, 300hp sitting there isnt a bad start... but to get it to 450ish takes a LOT more money in a LT1, than a LS base. on top of that, the LS is 10x more reliable.

YESSSSS!!! The whole reason I'm doing the swap. Right on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
gotta love some more ls swaps!! Ive been pondering this but i want to go with the LQ4. i was wondering if anyone knows the best year LQ4 to get? seeing as ive heard some years have a longer crank that makes it difficult to mount my stock trans in my car.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
gotta love some more ls swaps!! Ive been pondering this but i want to go with the LQ4. i was wondering if anyone knows the best year LQ4 to get? seeing as ive heard some years have a longer crank that makes it difficult to mount my stock trans in my car.
Try for an 03+ LQ4. they have the proper crank length. The 1998-2002 (or 1998-2000) had the longer crank on the rear portion for mating specifically to the 4L80E. Now they have a spacer for it.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm located in Sarasota, FL

hello iam in port st.lucie florida

I would be very interested in buying the lt1 from u.

also i have installed a ls based engine in a b-body if u need any help i can assist u.

Pm me a price and when it will be available...i can even pull myself to lessen the price if needed.

Thanks.

Jp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts