Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know the FW nose fits on the B bodies with a few modifications. How about the B body nose on the FW? I`m always looking to cut off some weight from the FWs so I`m thinking those heavy bumpers are some right there. The nose on the FW looks heavy anyway but it does look great. I know it`ll look stupid with the chrome rear bumper so that can be painted. Can somebody photoshop it? What other ways to lighten up the FW?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Don't do it. :(

But I think the front fenders are too short, aren't they?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I guess you could swap out the whole front clip, but its going to look really dumb. If you're that concerned about weight, why have a D-body, or even a B-body for that matter?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just something different with the FWs. There is no major customs with these. I guess have too much old car in me but everything today looks the same. The only noticable custom FW I see is 96 Black with his chrarcoal mono-chromed. Changing the the nose is one way of lightening and gives a custom look. Too bad they didn`t make aluminum bumpers. I remember reading about removing the lower cladding but it needs it in front of the front wheel. Don`t worry about seeing a FW with a B body nose, I won`t do it.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Well I guess that's my cue! hahaha I'm all for different. I freaked when I saw your question here. I had seen a pretty black n tan RMS recently posted with a Caprice clip, so just a couple days ago I was sitting wondering what the same thing would look like on a Fleetwood. Eeerie huh.

I figured it would be pretty dam different, but also a lot of work that only a tiny niche would ever recognize. I'd personally put the effort into grafting an Escalade nose on my Fleetwood before doing a Caprice nose. But I say go for it. You'd definitely have the only one. And, it would likely reduce a little of the FWB's extra 450 pounds over a B- body.

BTW, even though not my style there's a s*** pot full of well executed FWB lo-rider and jumpy car rigs out there that look pretty different - and wild.

·
Registered
194 Posts
nose

What about a new style dts nose and interior on/in a fw.Thats what i was thinking.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Well I guess that's my cue! hahaha I'm all for different. I freaked when I saw your question here. I had seen a pretty black n tan RMS recently posted with a Caprice clip, so just a couple days ago I was sitting wondering what the same thing would look like on a Fleetwood. Eeerie huh.

I figured it would be pretty dam different, but also a lot of work that only a tiny niche would ever recognize. I'd personally put the effort into grafting an Escalade nose on my Fleetwood before doing a Caprice nose. But I say go for it. You'd definitely have the only one. And, it would likely reduce a little of the FWB's extra 450 pounds over a B- body.

BTW, even though not my style there's a s*** pot full of well executed FWB lo-rider and jumpy car rigs out there that look pretty different - and wild.
I agree with you - an Escalade front clip would be cool. And there are a LOT of nice lowrider Fleetwoods out there. ;)

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Put the B body clip on it. Ive always wanted to do that to a fleetwood. Id do it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lowrider look is a totally different custom. Not much noticable body mods, just noticable paint jobs. But there is alot of unseen mods to it like supension, interior, etc but the average eye doesn`t see that when you`re sitting at the stop light.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wish I could put the FW drivetrain in my 96 Seville. What a cool car that would be: great looking and with the simple drivetrain.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
LT's have been stuck in all kinds of things. Maybe a STS is FWD IDK. Is the driveline an issue? Does the resale have you wanting to leave it alone? Is it your driver? Just nosey.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The lowrider look is a totally different custom. Not much noticable body mods, just noticable paint jobs. But there is alot of unseen mods to it like supension, interior, etc but the average eye doesn`t see that when you`re sitting at the stop light.
The lowriders are leading the way in body mods to these cars - 2 door coupe and convertible conversions, 3rd brake light in the trunk, gull wing doors, suicide doors, etc. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
The problem you'd have is D-bodies have longer fenders, and the frame is longer.

A better idea is removing the bumper and torching out some of the metal behind the bumper. Given the things I've seen you post, I know you've got the skills to take the front clip apart and see what can be thrown away.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
And by the way....

Lets say you did tyr an escalade nose...

I think the first gen nose would flow better with the rounded lines of the d-body. What looks gawdawful about the above is the sware nose on the rounded body.

But I wonder what they'd have ended up with on that thing if they'd finished.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I wonder where that thing is, I'd love a shot at it...

I can't get the idea of putting the Chevy front on the FWB. I like the Imp well enough but the FWB is a far better looking nose(and a worse looking back roofline).

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Fire-, truly a pic worth a 1000 words. Actually, I favor the raked back of later gens, but the noses got so tall later on I realize major channeling - hence the term graft. Truth be told I'd have to compromise to an SRX or even STS or DTS to get the ht. down.

Scott-, you said a mouthful.. The FWB roofline always looked 'design-incomplete' to me. I'd love a PS of a B- rear roofline on it. We'd be getting into a '66 Charger look I think.

As far as the idea, notice first how I accentuate the slope down look of the car's profile in my sigpic. A Cap nose would carry that look even further. When I'm sitting in my Cady I then picture the view out the front when sitting in my SS.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Not much to do with the thread, but since the box got posted I'll mention I want one of these...

'77 Bonne. I don't know why but I love that particular look for the box bodies. Grille, roofline, fat ass, skirts and all. Some 18" wheels, a 500 Caddy motor and a 2004R, all black and I'd be a happy guy.

I left the cabriolet top on my FWB simply because it cleans up that rear roof. Squares it off, which it badly needs. And while I hate fake ragtops that line it makes on each side trumps the hate.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like my stuff custom but subtle. Check this out..............
Shorten the grille height and fill the dip of the center of the bumper. It`ll give it a modern look of the box bodies.
Remove all lower cladding and fabricate a piece for in front of the front wheel or modify the moulding part on it so it looks like nothing was there.
Remove the reverse lights and extend the trunk lid down to the bumper.
Fabricate box body taillight bumper section on to the 93-96 bumper.
OR.... reverse the angle of the original (93-96) taillights so they look like fins.
There is other mods I think of but they are smaller ones.
I`m realy not into the Excalade nose. I don`t like the big headlights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts