Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a buddy who does custom metal work for a living. He is willing to help me weld up all my trim holes from de-wooding my wagon. Also said he can weld up the holes from the rear latch mechanism and help shave the l-plate area. I have another tailgate in storage, that is perfect and am wondering if I can just have him cut sections of metal out of that skin, to use on my tailgate ? He doesn't have an english wheel, so I thought this might be easier. Any info is greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear tailgate has a bow all the way across...and using the metal on the sides, won't have the same bow as the middle would have if it existed....there also isn't enough metal on either side to do the fill with one piece...

I honestly would just use a new sheet of steel...and save that gate from getting destroyed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that they cut out a section next to the plate box and it was the same shape as the center. I'll measure and see if there is enough metal to do it. Seems like there should be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you friend is a sheet metal worker it should be easy for him to shape a piece to fit well, so sell the good tail gate on buy him a few beers with the proceeds. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shoot, I'd hold onto that perfect tailgate.. they're getting hard to find. At least around here there are no B-bodies in the junk yards that aren't already stripped..definitely no wagons!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One other thing... another forum member told me an S10 truck tailgate makes a good donor skin. Apparently there is enough material there to shave two tailgates, and the curve is close enough to work. You can find those in the junkyard pretty easily - get one that's damaged on the top or something and you can still use the skin for the tailgate filler.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well to be honest,there is a dent in the tailgate, the size of a basketball. The dent is near the top right hand corner and with the design of the tailgate, it doesn't allow me to reach it from the inside to push it out. I was just looking at this mint tailgate in storage and thinking it would be easier to take metal from the bad one and put it on the new one. I'm sure a bodyman could pull that dent out. Shouldn't be a big deal, should it ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not at all.. You'd be surprised what a little quick body work can fix by someone who has some experience. Worst case, you're gonna be welding on that thing anyway, a few holes and a yank with a puller will probably fix it. I bought a stud welder from Harbor Freight (cheapy) for that purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.