Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these shocks about 8 months ago. Always felt like they were way to bouncy/floaty.
Well,it turns out now Bilstein is saying they dont even reccomend those shocks for the SS.
When I called them about 10 months ago thats what they recommended,now the only recommend that for the regular Imapala(91-93) and caprice(91-96)

They screwed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a matter of taste. Most of the suspension knowlegable people here recommend the 1104/0929, but some prefer a cushier ride.

There have been a few people who felt the 1104/0929 was too firm and switched to a softer shock, not many, but it just goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Oh, and if anyone is dissatisfied with their 1516/1517s, Bilstein did offer to revalve his free of charge if he could come up with the reciept.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by SICKNESS:
Well, I wouldn't say you got "screwed" by any means. You just are unhappy with the shocks you chose. More than likely because you didn't do any researching before you bought them. If you wanted a stiffer shock then you should have went with the 1104/0929s, the Bilstein sport shocks. I love my Bilsteins. Great shocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys keep saying I choose them. They recommended these and yes, they did say it was a softer shock and I did want those but now they dont even recommend them for the SS at all. So it was a wrong shock to begin with. Softer than even what a soft Bilstein is suppose to be,atleast on the SS.
1516/1517 is a softer shock for the Caprice not the SS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys keep saying I choose them. They recommended these and yes, they did say it was a softer shock and I did want those but now they dont even recommend them for the SS at all. So it was a wrong shock to begin with. Softer than even what a soft Bilstein is suppose to be,atleast on the SS.
1516/1517 is a softer shock for the Caprice not the SS.
baby dont blow a head gasket over it...just take them off, sell them on E-bay, and then buy the stiffer Bilsteins or the HALS

Lorna

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

When I called them about 10 months ago thats what they recommended,now the only recommend that for the regular Imapala(91-93) and caprice(91-96)

That just doesn't make any sense at all. The regular Impala (91-93) doesn't exist. The Caprice (91-6) which you say they still recommend the shocks for, include the Impala (94-6), since the Impala is still a Caprice (just with the WX3 option code). So that means that they do in fact still recommend these shocks for your car. The problem is that you didn't specify to them what you wanted from the shocks. Thus they recommend what to most drivers would be the best shocks -- the cushiony ride. Had you stated that you are looking for a sportier, tighter handling ride, then they would have recommended the stiffer shocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you dont believe me, call them. I spoke to the sales mgr today and a tech today.
The tech said,impossible,we would never recommend that part # for the SS.
The sales manager said they were offering those shocks(1516/1517) since the 91 caprice came out.
He said, "all of a sudden the SS came out in 94 and we were still recommending the 1516/1517 shocks to the SS owners,but got so many complaints that we stop recommending those and started only recommending the firmer shocks",
thats exactly what he said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way,the Impala is not just a different looking caprice. Suspension is mildly different and stance/springs are lower as well as other parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way,the Impala is not just a different looking caprice. Suspension is mildly different and stance/springs are lower as well as other parts.
Yes it is. The only difference in the suspension from the SS to the 94-96 LT1 caprice are springs and shocks...that's it. And even the factory Decarbon shocks that came on the SS were a bit cushony. Who did you buy the shcoks from anyways? What vendor told you they no longer recommend the 1516/1517s for the 94-96 Impalas? The fact is, the 1516/1517s are really the only bilsteins made for the 91-96 B bodies....The 0929/1104s are recommened for the older boxy pre 91 caprices. So, who told you that they no longer recommend the "softer" bilsteins??

Here is what I gather from Bilstein's very own site:

HERE
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: Full Size: Caprice Classic, Caprice, Impala RWD; Exc. Wagon
Year: 91-96
Setting: HD
Front: B46-1516
Rear: B46-1517

See same numbers for both caprice and Impala.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Call Bilstein. Larry is the manager. Call him.
You can use them but they dont reccomend them anymore.
Well I'm not calling anybody, I can care less. All I'm saying is you didn't get "screwed", you got the shocks you wanted. How is that getting "screwed"? And why after 8 months you are not happy? Why not try to exchange them when they were still new??

Like Wayne said, it's all about preference. BOTH shocks(0929/1104s, & 1516/1517s) are for, and will work for the B body. Its just preference, either you want a stiff ride, or a soft one. You should have discussed that when you were ordering them. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Miss Jackson:
[/qb]baby dont blow a head gasket over it...just take them off, sell them on E-bay, and then buy the stiffer Bilsteins or the HALS

Lorna
Hello, have we met?

Carlos

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You haven't been here long enough to know who "Lorna" really iz...you don wanna moob to flareeda anymore than you want those shocks. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did any member in the forum have expeience like Wayne said "Oh, and if anyone is dissatisfied with their 1516/1517, Bilstein did offer to revalve his free of charge if he could come up with the reciept"?

I own 2 '96 Caprice 9C1, the one with Bilstein 1516/1517s, and the other with 1104/0929. The riding difference is day and night.

I still have reciept on hand. Hope some one can post experience with Bilstein for exchanging stiff shocks.

Jesse

Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
It's a matter of taste. Most of the suspension knowlegable people here recommend the 1104/0929, but some prefer a cushier ride.

There have been a few people who felt the 1104/0929 was too firm and switched to a softer shock, not many, but it just goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Oh, and if anyone is dissatisfied with their 1516/1517s, Bilstein did offer to revalve his free of charge if he could come up with the reciept.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did any member in the forum have expeience like Wayne said "Oh, and if anyone is dissatisfied with their 1516/1517, Bilstein did offer to revalve his free of charge if he could come up with the reciept"?

I own 2 '96 Caprice 9C1, the one with Bilstein 1516/1517s, and the other with 1104/0929. The riding difference is day and night.

I still have reciept on hand. Hope some one can post experience with Bilstein for exchanging stiff shocks.

Jesse

Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SICKNESS, have you contacted Street Trends to see if they can fax you a reciept?

jz57_cn, IIRC they used to do a free revalve(within a year?) as a matter of course, but they changed that. Now it looks like they will in this specific case, but YMMV.

scot has mentioned getting a revalve of the 1516/1517 that is 20% more compression and 30% more rebound and even better than the 1104/0929.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.