Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bushing is worn and sqeaks like crazy. any way of replacing this or do i have to get an entire hinge?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any suggestions?

·
Registered
785 Posts
if simply lubing it up doesnt work autozone carrys the door pin.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the one from classic industries makes alot fo sense, but of course is a bit pricy. the other from autozone, states it doesnt have results for the 96 impala, but there are 2 results for the caprice, one is a boxed pin, and the other is a cardedpin. which is like a stock replacement?

·
Registered
785 Posts
pop yours out and compare, if they have them at the location

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got the bushings, but has anybody decompressed the hinge spring to get the pin and or bushing out? anybody done this job?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've never done a B-body but I have one of the tools and use it all the time. I'd say spend $20 and buy the tool. From my expierance most cars and trucks have the same design. Once you learn how to do it on your car your buddies will probably want it done to their vehicle.

Its a two man job. Get a floor jack to suport the weight of the door (put a bath towel on the jack to prevent paint chiping off the bottom of the door). One guy to do the work and another guy just to balance the door on the jack. Not sure if the wiring harness is long enough to get the door far enough away from the hinge to work or not. You may have to unhook the wiring harness from the door to be able to get enough room

If no one posts a complete how to on this I'll do it. Mine could probably use new bushings. (hopefully I dont have to, its kinda a pain in the @ss)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I thought you had to replace the whole hinge??????

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hummm, well like I said I've never done a B-body. MOST cars and trucks you just knock out the pins that connects the door side of the hinge from the body side of the hinge, then replace the little brass bushings and stick back in your pins. Should be two bushings per hinge that fit in the holes that the pin goes through.

Now youve got me wondering if our cars are difrent than most..?...?

SOMEONE resolve this before I tear my car apart just to do a thread.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i figured there was a tool for it. thanks for the info, i'll soon do a write up with pics. thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
i figured there was a tool for it. thanks for the info, i'll soon do a write up with pics. thanks for all the help
Please do because I might do the same for my FR passenger door. Every now and then it sqeaks pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Now just because your door is squeaking doesnt mean you need to replace the bushings. Generaly the you change the bushings because your door is sagging.

Open your door 3/4 or so and pick up on the bottom of the door and wiggle it up and down. Did it wiggle much? Now push the door to the striker (dont shut it). Do the doors body lines line up? Now push the door shut slowly, did you notice the door move upward just a little when you shut it?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you may be a canidate for changing your door pins.

Rember that your striker is adjustabe, you may need to adjust your striker after you replace the pins. Move the striker up or down, in or out until you get your door to shut just right.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
has anyone done this yet?Curious to hear how it goes. I have a squeek on my drivers door due to the bushing being worn

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I let the door spring fly out when I remove doors. To re install the spring on the cheap with no fancy tools, Simple. Compress the spring in a vise. Then Wrap about 3-5 heavy zip ties through it and PULL them tight. Remove the spring from the vise slowly. Then, quickly put the spring in place. Cut away the zip ties, all the pieces will fall out and the spring will open up. Yes its a little dangerous but the spring does not have THAT much pressure.

I never use a jack to remove doors. Its asking for damage unless you build a wood jig that holds the doors weight. I just use two people and some cardboard/ cloth for protection. I took many doors off all sorts of car

To remove a B-body door the WHOLE wiring harness has to to be removed. Their is no CONNECTOR. CHEAP design. The door panel has to come off and every wire has to be disconnected/ un clipped and fished through the door wire grommet. Or be a hack and cut every wire.. ughh!

If anyone looked at the hinges on a b-body they are bolted on. The easiest would be to find another set of hinges in better shape, paint to match and reinstall. II never liked the design of the aftermarket hinge pin fixes. Alot use cheap E clips that can fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now just because your door is squeaking doesnt mean you need to replace the bushings. Generaly the you change the bushings because your door is sagging.

Open your door 3/4 or so and pick up on the bottom of the door and wiggle it up and down. Did it wiggle much? Now push the door to the striker (dont shut it). Do the doors body lines line up? Now push the door shut slowly, did you notice the door move upward just a little when you shut it?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you may be a canidate for changing your door pins.

Rember that your striker is adjustabe, you may need to adjust your striker after you replace the pins. Move the striker up or down, in or out until you get your door to shut just right.
well i know for a fact mine is, i can see it busted in pieces

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
The only problem I have with my DS door on the White Elephant is the roller for the opening detents. It is getting pretty loose and leans at an angle. Can that be replaced, or am I looking at replacing a hinge? Is the hinge easier than the roller? Can I pull one from a PS door, and transplant it? Any how-tos?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The only problem I have with my DS door on the White Elephant is the roller for the opening detents. It is getting pretty loose and leans at an angle. Can that be replaced, or am I looking at replacing a hinge? Is the hinge easier than the roller? Can I pull one from a PS door, and transplant it? Any how-tos?
same thing I was wandering. I always thought the whole hinge had to be replaced. I bought a set but havent had them painted yet.

Hoping someone does it and can shed some light

·
Registered
785 Posts
the only reason to change the hinge is if its damaged due to an accident or something to that affect. any sagging or leaning would be signs of the pin being worn. its been a while but i believe you just hammer it out, hammer new one in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts