Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another dumb question...

One of the things about these cars that really sucks, is those plastic door liners. My kids DESTROYED the liners on my '95 RM - I could NOT convince them that the doors didn't need to be slammed, and over the couple of years I owned that car, the door liners simply broke up and fell apart. Worst on the front doors as they're so much bigger than the back doors, and worst of all on the driver's side door because that's the one that gets used most. So the kids are grown-up and gone, so it shouldn't be a problem on my '96 RMW - except the driver's door liner was falling apart when I got the car. Literally falling apart - I took it in for service, and when I picked the car up, the bottom of the door had fallen off to the point it was only held on by one screw, and it was jamming the door shut - I had to climb in the passenger side.

So I delight to pass-on that polystyrene-specific 2-part epoxy works on the plastic on those liners, that's all that's been holding that door liner together for the last year - because the screws that attach the liner to the door are long gone. Does anybody know where I can get some of those screws? Sadly, I really doubt I'd find a 9C1 to loot them out of, in any junkyard around here - up here in the great white north, most of the white you see on the roads in the winter is salt and all the old cars are long since rusted-away, the junkyards had pretty well crushed them all ten years ago.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Are you referring to the "tree" fasteners around the perimeter of the door? There should be one screw in the handle surround, two holding the strap in place, and one at the bottom rear of the door that goes through the carpet. You can get the "trees" at almost any auto parts store. Usually the mounting spots for the "trees" are missing, or at least broken.

Since the lower panel is polystyrene, I use MEK, scrap polystyrene, and nylon window screen to repair the lower part of the door panels. You could possibly use polyester resin if you keep it in a thin layer so as to not melt the panel when it "fires". You can also add thickeners to the polyester resin so it is less likely to run. Do not touch the face of the door with either the MEK, or polyester resin.

There is not much you can do for the upper part, because it is made from polypropylene, and is for the most part not reactive with anything. There are some body adhesives that will stick to it if you rough up the surface before applying it to give it some "tooth" for a mechanical bond.

I can understand your plight, I took my 91 OCC to a custom paint shop, and one of their stupid employees broke my passenger's side door panel (door card). Fortunately I have a couple of spares, and could replace it. I hate taking my car to anybody for anything. There are too many idiots, and unqualified people who get to work on cars. I even had to realign the front doors, and adjust the front fenders after the custom paint shop reassembled my car. The parts are now aligned properly, and the hood fits evenly on both sides at the front fender points.

Reactions: Norcal Industries

·
Registered
1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Driftwood Metallic 5.8 Vortec TBI
241 Posts
you can get stainless screws at Lowes for the trim and doors. I know they are oval head. #6 or #8

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of the "tree" fasteners - and their sockets - are busted out of the liner. I should really go to the effort to get some stainless and and fabricate new tree sockets, I could epoxy them in and they'd make a world of difference. For the screws, I'll look around on teh interwebz; we have a Lowes here, but our whole store would fit inside the staff washroom of any Lowes in the 'States.

I have a buddy with dual citizenship who's more than once tried to talk me into going to Maine with him - there's a Walmart there that's HUGE, I've GOT to see it! To which I reply "Yeah sure - I'm gonna' visit Maine to go to a Walmart..." ;)

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
331 Posts
You don't need to use stainless, IMO, I made a couple of mine from some scrap metal ductwork. New "tree" fasteners and epoxy for polystyrene are a better bet.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have found great replacement clips and things from here:
I bought a big assortment box of door panel and misc. clips at the Detroit Autorama a few years ago and they have been amazing at replacing broken plastic panel fasteners.
They replace the christmas tree pushpins with real strong magnets, and they really hold. I have them in all my wagons, on both door and gate cards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks much. I bought a selection of rare-earth magnets to do something like that with the panels on my '95 - and after it got killed (rear-ended by a taxi), the magnets went to the boneyard with it... 😢

1 - 7 of 7 Posts