Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess its about time for some of these rubber parts to start failing. I just noticed that the rubber edge of the chrome molding was starting to come off. As I was getting up to about 70MPH, a larger piece came off and was flapping in the wind.

Really not familiar with this molding and how it mounts to the door. So I have a few questions on this part.

1) Is this little rubber strip that is off, part of the whole chrome molding or just some little strip that gets mounted behind the Chrome trim?

2) Should I try to glue it in place with weatherstrip adhesive? I really doubt this will hold but is it worth a shot?

3) Should I just cut this little piece off before more starts coming off?

Thanks and heres some pics of the strip that broke away.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
After cleaning well (carefully) try some clear high-strength glue. Holding the repair down,and straight with a piece of painters tape until dry. Remove tape in the opposite direction from the tear.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly what I think I may try and see if that works. Got nothing to lose at this point and will check the store today to get some fresh glue rather than using something I've had laying around for a while.

You ever had the molding off the door before? I may just try and pull one off a donor car next time I go to the yard. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a nice replacement but at least get a better idea how these mount and fit. I suspect that most anything else with time on it is going to be the same way or close to failing. NOS replacement may be a no go or expensive as heck, but may look for a set of those too.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picked up some 3M high strength WS adhesive, cleaned the parts and used a toothpick to apply glue to both pieces. Let it tack and used some painters tape to hold it while it sets. Will give it overnight to dry and see what happens tomorrow when I go to work.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'd cut it, and see if I could get a replacement piece. Seems odd that the weather strip is just that skinny ass piece of rubber. I'd expect it to be the same size of the chrome trim it's underneath and it literally just broke away at the line that's exposed to weather.

I certainly would not glue anything to my car.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I think you'll discover that replacement trim has become rather difficult to source.Most all of us have had to glue something back together from time,to time.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts
I have some of the those, and can sell you one if the glue does not work. The piece is glued on at the factory, and is a poor design. I used super glue after cleaning the area. I believe it is still holding, but forget if I have replaced the part since then. The 91-93 pieces have a round boss at the top where the screw holds it to the door, and the 94-96 cars have a teardrop shaped boss. You can mount the 91-93s on the 94-96s, but you have to modify the boss or hole to put the 94-96s on the 91-93s.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd cut it, and see if I could get a replacement piece. Seems odd that the weather strip is just that skinny ass piece of rubber. I'd expect it to be the same size of the chrome trim it's underneath and it literally just broke away at the line that's exposed to weather.

As our cars age and parts are harder to get new, you got to get a little "MacGyver like" on some parts. Nothing wrong with a little glue if it holds and doesn't look too bad. :). I think it looks ok and cutting it off was my last resort and that was just to prevent more from ripping away.

I have some of the those, and can sell you one if the glue does not work. The piece is glued on at the factory, and is a poor design. I used super glue after cleaning the area. I believe it is still holding, but forget if I have replaced the part since then. The 91-93 pieces have a round boss at the top where the screw holds it to the door, and the 94-96 cars have a teardrop shaped boss. You can mount the 91-93s on the 94-96s, but you have to modify the boss or hole to put the 94-96s on the 91-93s.
Fred, I may just take you up on a replacement and it would be for a 95. I'll shoot you a PM....thx.

·
Registered
11,532 Posts

The part he is referring to is not weather stripping. it is just an accent piece that makes the chrome stand out when you look at it. Sort of like a girl putting eyeliner around her eyes.

GM did not make these to last 50 years. The made them to fall apart after about 5-10 so that you would want to buy another pretty car. Cars are consumables, expensive ones, but just consumables.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.