Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
you saying there is a way to wash the carpet, and the carpet just washes off?

i soaked the carpet in degreaser, adhesive remover, water with orange cleaner in it, and the only thing that got it off was force. of course you ahve to be sensible when applying brute force. Dont hold one hand on the plastic part and the other hand on the carpet.

if you know the chemicals needed to "eat" the glue, please let me know.

· Registered
79 Posts
X2, Use a heat gun.

Singe the carpet fiber until it melts down. Do this in sections. And as you are melting the carpet fuzz, start pulling on one end of the carpet.
Either one of two thing will happen. Either the oem glue will come off with the carpet since it is all hot and pliable or the glue will stay on the door panel. If the glue stays just hit it a little with the heat gun and start peeling it up. If you do it slowly it will come up in one big sheet.

Now for adding carpet. I bought a yard of plastic backed carpet from ACC. I cut out a rough template and used it to cut out a section of carpet. I then took my time fitting it and cutting a little at a time until it fit. The hard part is the curve at the back of the panel. Here is another spot for the heat gun. I applied some heat to that area and pushed the carpet on to the curve area and held it until it cooled. By doing that I formed the carpet to that tricky area.
After everything was all nice and trimmed, I used 3M #77 spray adhesive on both surfaces, waited a minute until it tacked up and slapped that puppy on there.

That's all there is to it. I can post some pics of the finished product if needed.

See ya,

· Registered
285 Posts
brute force.
i started from the bottom corner that wraps around.

to put it back on, use some quality adhesive. maybe liquid nails if your cheap, and smear it on thin.
I doubt he means ripping it off like Steve Corell's chest pubes in the 40 year old virgin.
I see how it would be more rewarding to slowly pull the carpet off- no dangerous chemicals, no heat, no gummy adhesive left on the door panel.
I don't know about a adhesive for that application. Something that can hold on fairly well, but CAN be removed would be ideal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.