Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of perfect condition grey front door panels in my local yard. The lower carpet from a Caprice did not match the carpet found in the SS.
I tried to remove them from my cracked SS panels but one of them warped and can't use them on my new rebuilt pannels.

so the question is, does anyone know of a place on-line where I can order a Yard of carpet similar to the stock door panel carpet.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Painting carpet with SEM tends to make it stiff, as with any fabric. The proper way to use SEM on the carpet is spray lightly, and brush it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the carpet on the replacement panels looks like regular floor carpet with backing material, the one on the implala does not. Its two completely different textures.
even if the carpet found on the replacement panels was a complete color match I would still need to replace it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if anyone else is interested, the lower carpet on the door panel is called Lining Carpet

it stretchable carpet with no backing material, this is why one of my stock carpet deformed when I removed it.

one example
Stretch Van Lining Carpet

it looks like I'm going to have to replace all four panels to make sure everything matches.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I saw your post the other day and was looking at my doors because I want to redo the carpet with another color, and it looks like it's going to be a PITA to replace the "pockets".

How do you plan on doing yours?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
You can "unweld" the pocket, recarpet it, then reweld it to the door panel.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Worth Repeating

Painting carpet with SEM tends to make it stiff, as with any fabric. The proper way to use SEM on the carpet is spray lightly, and brush it.
For reference: When weighing the effort of straight-out replacement, I had good results instead just coloring the factory console fabric to match my new charcoal carpet by spraying alternately with chosen d. gray and brown shades of SEM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts