Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I didn't realize the whole narrow/wide housing differences. Went to Orielly's and bought 2 Dorman 630-117s because that's what they told me fit in my car. Had the wheel studs pressed in for $35, then realized yeah thats too damn short (and anyone not familiar like me this morning Dorman doesnt make an axle shaft for a 94-96 Impala SS). Now I just looked on Summit and saw the Mosers for $250, I thought those were per side and I wasnt wanting to drop $500 for axle shafts but since i went back and looked it's for a pair, hell I would have done that in a second. Ok so I put in new seals, new bearing and my old axles shaft because I'm sick of seeing my car on jacks. The question is how long do you all think I have on these before I chew up a bearing or the seal leaks again? I'm not running a risk of chewing up the receiving spline in the diff am I? Basically I plan on driving it, and the first noise it makes pulling it all apart again and replacing it with Moser everything, shafts, seals, bearings, and wheel studs. Actually the bearings I removed still looked like they were in good shape. My Dad and his buddy seems to think they'll be good for another 100,000 miles, I think they're both crazy. Anyway, here are a couple pictures, let me know what you guys think...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Top pic - dead

Other - OK for now

Dorman listing is in error
Dead? What does that mean? To me dead means you aren't driving on that PERIOD but I know I can put this back in and drive on it for awhile because it was drivable before I replaced the bearings & seals. It was really just a small cosmetic leak that made me realize there were problems back there and then I had it make a scraping noise when i put it in reverse a couple times but I think that was from being a little low on fluid. Like I said the original bearing is still good and I figured out the whole "incorrect for an SS" thing what I was really asking was what risks am I putting myself at driving on it and how long before it starts to give me problems (what are the problems I'm going to have?) Believe me putting it back in was not what I wanted to do, that's why I dropped $300 at O'Rielly's to get new ones but that was before I realized the whole Dorman thing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried BEARING SAVER bearings (axle saver).??

http://stangler.com/motorsports/articles/BearingSaver/index.htm

Seems its your answer and way cheaper.
Awesome, I didn't realize exactly what these actually did, I had seen them at the parts store but I didn't realize that it moved the bearing location, I just looked at it and what like it looks nice but it looks like the same thing just with the bearing and seal combined.

Reading that though I answered my other question. Metal flakes are coming from the scored region, yeah reevaluating the whole situation now. Sleave it or order the Mosers... that is the question...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Dead? What does that mean? To me dead means...
-EDITED OUT- The main point was that the Dorman error had been documented before and he was directing you to the information.

OMG, I didn't realize the whole narrow/wide housing differences...
Yeah. It's one of those things that gets discussed frequently enough over the years that most people in the community assume other B & D body owners are aware of it (to a greater or lesser extent). It's unfortunate you had to learn this way.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
bearing savers = another leak down the road.. get new axles and new bearings and seals and do it the right way.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Dead? What does that mean? To me dead means you aren't driving on that PERIOD but I know I can put this back in and drive on it for awhile because it was drivable before I replaced the bearings & seals. It was really just a small cosmetic leak that made me realize there were problems back there and then I had it make a scraping noise when i put it in reverse a couple times but I think that was from being a little low on fluid. Like I said the original bearing is still good and I figured out the whole "incorrect for an SS" thing what I was really asking was what risks am I putting myself at driving on it and how long before it starts to give me problems (what are the problems I'm going to have?)
It means I'd park it until it's fixed (replaced), given the choice. That axle shaft is below spec, and the journal surface is damaged--and the bearing can't be far behind. The "cosmetic leak" is the result of the axle shaft running off center with the seal due to the journal wear, compressing the seal at the top and opening a gap at the bottom. It will continue to leak until properly repaired.

If you're running the stock diff cover with magnet--how big was the "fuzzball" on the magnet when you first removed it? The journal will continue to wear and eventually the metal in the lube will pass through all of the bearings in the axle and do even more damage.

I'm not trying to ruin your day.....just want make sure you've considered all of the ramifications of your decision.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you that's what I was trying to understand the ramifications and exactly why. Most people don't care they just want it fixed, I'm a little different. Completely agree though ordering the Mosers from Summit. Fuzz ball was about the size of thimbal. Now that I know it's not moving until the Moses are in

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe it or not the leak was on the one you called good, either way they're both getting replaced. I think they are both bad knowing what I know now.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
Darn, if you had a wagon, I could sell you my spare good used wagon axle shafts cheap. Have you tried your local junkyard?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darn, if you had a wagon, I could sell you my spare good used wagon axle shafts cheap. Have you tried your local junkyard?
I'm not a big salvage fan I usually end up paying damn near new prices for junk. Maybe its my pretty boy swag and they think oh this guy doesn't know anything. Plus I plan on owning this car for life so I might as well go new, another reason Im trying to do it "the right way"

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
I'm not a big salvage fan I usually end up paying damn near new prices for junk.
Keep shopping then; there's a lot of variation in prices across yards.

I've pulled a few junkyard axle shafts out of B-bodies just to see what they look like and there are ones with a zillion miles on them that have no wear.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
If you are replacing with moser axles, tell them to dual drill them for 5x4.75 in case you want to run different wheels in the future. They didnt charge me anything. Just a thought. -Josh

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are replacing with moser axles, tell them to dual drill them for 5x4.75 in case you want to run different wheels in the future. They didnt charge me anything. Just a thought. -Josh
Well I just ordered them from Summit, the picture showed two bolt patterns drilled for studs but honestly I would prefer just the stock holes. Hard enough to get the right parts with everything stock. If I do change the wheels I would rather just buy a rim that fits. I know I'm extremely limited with the stock bolt pattern but if I did replace the stock rims it would be with a set of CCWs or possibly the Bosses that seem pretty popular for this car. It's a shame though that almost everything else that fits this car is all bling.

I also went ahead and ordered some Summit brand cross drilled rotors to throw back on. I know they aren't necessary but I'm questioning my 15 year old stock rotors. Is it normal that the rotors have to be removed and installed by tapping them with a rubber hammer? I was thinking that may be a sign of them being warped. Either way I have them coming, I figure if I'm happy with them I'll order the fronts in a couple weeks, I'm due for a brake job up there anyway.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep shopping then; there's a lot of variation in prices across yards.

I've pulled a few junkyard axle shafts out of B-bodies just to see what they look like and there are ones with a zillion miles on them that have no wear.
Yeah problem is I don't need just any B-Body axle shafts, I need Impala SS axle shafts, which are slightly longer. I haven't done a lot of checking for this car locally but I've heard they don't just sit in salvage. I see them get parted out on Craigslist every now and then so if they are there I expect them to be pretty well picked over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts