Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jus got my double din today and would like to install it up high where the ac control knobs are and put the knobs down low. Is there a way of doing this without buying the kit.
I heard someone in this forum that did a cut and paste and filpped it upside down... Any ideas any1

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jus got my double din today and would like to install it up high where the ac control knobs are and put the knobs down low. Is there a way of doing this without buying the kit.
I heard someone in this forum that did a cut and paste and filpped it upside down... Any ideas any1
You're prolly talking bout this guy
http://www.thedetailss.com

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably talking about me ;), Detail kit is pricey but pretty nice.
Here is mine.

Is this the kit?? Or did u do this yourself because the person stated they did it themself and had some pics up jus cant remember who or where i seen it from. But can u do it yourself or is it too complicated??

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I got ya sorry I should of posted more pictures, I did flip the center of the dash over, and remolded it, mine is definietly not the Detail kit and YES you can do it your self.

Here are some more pics. Sorry I should of posted them but I was in a hurry.

First I had to make the metal retainer piece to hold the head unit and the HVAC controls, the Detail kit will not allow you to have the Roady controls, the mounts are different, hence why I made my own out of some sheet metal I had in my shop

Then I cut out the center of the dash around where the ridge is in it and flipped it over and filled it in

Then I glassed the whole mess in with a couple coats of Bondo, shot it with primer, and Krylon outdoor furniture texture paint at about a four foot distance to give it the textured look of the originalm then shot it with semi gloss black.

There you have it, it can be done. ;) without spending 200 bucks or whatever the detail kit is, just took a little time to accomplish. I molded the ashtray in at the same time as well

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
how much for 1 of those brackets and any more pic of the ash tray i wanna delete mines to or mold it i dont u it and no smokin is aloowed in my car
I don't know that I would ever make one again, installs are always easier when the car is in front of you, you know.

Here is the pic of the ash tray, I just molded in the face of it, with fiberglass filled bondo, the stranded kind.
this is the only pic that I have

Other than it finished with my console, mostly covering it up

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks a lot :D...

A few things thou. Did you just use only bondo or did u use fiberglass then the whole bondo routine?? And did you use any sand paper if so what grit.??? Im jus tryna do it once and do it right ova here.

Not a fiberglass expert cwm6

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Well a couple of things. For the center section after I flipped it over and got it to fit snug, I bonded back in there with some epoxy that I had in my shop, stuff left over from some aircraft work. After that I used long strand fiberglass bondo, sanded that then used regular bondo a couple of times. Sand paper you can get the long strand with 80 grit, but with the regular bondo you will need to use something a little lighter to prevent scratches, I think I used 400 or something, not exactly sure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yours is nice. I just installed my Kenwood double din, but I used the detailss kit. I've had the kit for 6 months. I just finally got back from Iraq to put it in. I like the kit and I usually do my own installs. The bracket and hardware was well worth price, I just don't like the face plate they provide. Since I'm not very skilled with the dremel, it doesn't look very polished. I think I'm going to take mine into the custom shop to have one custom made.

Probably talking about me ;), Detail kit is pricey but pretty nice.
Here is mine. Pioneer Avic-Z2 and Buick Roady controls

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Thanks, and yeah the bracket that they make for the kit is really nice, I just made my own, damn near the same quality and durability. I just wasn't going to pay 200 bucks, that was my whole deal, I didn't like the face plate either, it just looks unfinished in my eyes. but to each his own.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, and yeah the bracket that they make for the kit is really nice, I just made my own, damn near the same quality and durability. I just wasn't going to pay 200 bucks, that was my whole deal, I didn't like the face plate either, it just looks unfinished in my eyes. but to each his own.
What kind of material did you make it out of again, I plan on going to homedepot

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
18 gauge sheetmetal, something pretty ridgid

etc.- I hate them, I actually just had them in there to get everything rigged up, I removed them and soldered all the connections. They are junk and just cut the sh%$ out of the wires. Good for temporary stuff though.

·
Registered
922 Posts
He could have been referring me too 94MI9C1 :)

I did something similar to my dash. yeloboi21, you sent me a PM a week or so ago and I'm sorry I have not responded yet. I was not trying to ignore ya, just no spare time at the moment. The problem with doing what I did was it only gives you a stock 1.5 din hole to mount your stereo in. I think it looks great, just leaves you with a much smaller selection for head units. I;m using a single din and also mounting some rocker switches under it. I've been working on it from time to time but don't want to post any more pictures until I am happy with it.

TOM B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts