Premium Member
1,267 Posts
yes

I'm in if it goes - lmk mike

·
Registered
683 Posts
I might be in.

However, the GP price will have to reflect the fact its a fancy piece of plastic...
its more than just a fancy plastic

if you make your own costume install you will most likely spend more time creating the mounting bracket. I know I did
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228271&highlight=lower

I bought a universal install kit with a eq mount and I spent hours modifying it to mount in my car, and after I mounted it I spent more time reinforing it to hold the weight of a single din and eq. a double din unit is much heaver then my single din and eq combined, you just cant cut a piece of abs plastic and expect it to hold.

is the mounting bracket and fancy piece of plastic worth $150? probably not but you should ask this guy how much he payed for his custom install
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=247360

from their you can go gauge on how much money you will spend and how much money you will save with this kit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would be interested. Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Pictures at www.thedetailss.com . . .

I bought it a few weeks ago too. It does save a lot of customization time. The bracket part works perfectly & is simple. I had zero issues getting it installed & ready to go for my stereo installer.

The part that's tougher is cutting out the center section of the dash that will fit well to glue in the replacement face plate. I wish I took some more time on it than I did. FYI: this isn't a kit issue as much as it is the time you take to do it right issue. I was rushed and did do enough testing/fitting/cutting to ensure a nice flush fit.

Also, I think I would prefer the smooth one because the textured one is way more textured than stock & smooth would actually be closer to stock than the textured. When I ordered it, I wanted the textured to match the dash, but they are worlds apart.

Here you can see some of the epoxy (lower left) & exposed cuts (across top):

Here you can see the extra space on the bottom, but the face needs to swing down some to open/close:

Prior to cutting the center section & disconnecting the AC controls:

Backside of the AC controls for reference to reconnect, in case I forgot:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Damn. Don't know if I want it anymore. Doesn't
Look as good as I thought it would
Don't let my poor install dissuade you. The kit is immensely helpful. I don't regret the price because it would likely cost AT LEAST twice that to pay someone to fabricate it. Then you would *STILL* be left to fabricate the face plate! The fitment of the bracket was absolutely perfect. I did not take enough time to fit the face plate & regret that.

If I can find a replacement lower dash in good condition, I will try again & take my time. I was rushed because I was trying to get it done right before having it installed. I took the least amount of time on the most visible part! DUMB! It's one of those live & learn moments, but you only get one shot.

I would recommend the smooth face vs the textured one (pictured above) though.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
IF you are stuck with using the Detail Kit you could always shoot the surround piece with semi gloss or flat black, I just don't believe that they make the textured shiny almost, could be the camera to, but I don't know. I think the texture looks a bit too much to try and match the dash also. Just a thought and an opinion.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok, Im in for a smooth textured kit. Do I need anything to relocate the ac controls?

·
Registered
413 Posts
So when does this GP end? Be cpl weeks b4 I can afford this.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not that it would help, but I'll buy another faceplate. I obviously won't need the bracket again! ;) If someone wants to buy the kit & sell me the faceplate if they intend to make their own, I'll buy a smooth one from someone.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
The kit handles the relocation.
Ok, Im in then. Put me down for a smooth kit. Let me know when and where to send money. Paypal preferably.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's $140 with 5 or more and just $150 outright, just got to let him know your part of the forum. I'm in no hurry so saving 10 bucks is always nice. If you can't wait heres the paypal addy. [email protected]

Lets start the list
1.sdotlog(Sean) /Smooth finish
etc

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's $140 with 5 or more and just $150 outright, just got to let him know your part of the forum. I'm in no hurry so saving 10 bucks is always nice. If you can't wait heres the paypal addy. [email protected]

Lets start the list
1.sdotlog(Sean) /Smooth finish
2.Matt M / smooth finish
etc
here is my 5 character minimum that the forum makes me type in

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
i may be in fellas. cant promise anything.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts