Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any 1 have a double din in ther 96 caprice or impala with all factory part. and not the relocation kit i wanna put 1 in my 96 and wanted to see if it can be done with my factory dash panels

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
does any 1 have a double din in ther 96 caprice or impala with all factory part. and not the relocation kit i wanna put 1 in my 96 and wanted to see if it can be done with my factory dash panels
Can't be done went down that road already, I made a relocation kit for mine, look one post down from this one. I put a Pioneer Avic-Z2 in my car and love it, plus with it in the factory position it is hard to view, once I remold the center it will look factory. DetailSS.com's piece is nice but it just doesn't look factory and I know what you mean on that as I am the same way.

Let me know if you need pointers.

Mike

·
Registered
803 Posts
The detailSS kit looks as factory as a double din unit can be, if installed correctly. The pictures on their web site are actually out of date and don't show the latest version. The new ones have a flush face. It is expensive, but it makes for an outstanding installation that's relatively easy as well.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Sorry I was unaware of the new version. The only thing that I was going on was the old pics. Any body have new pictures?
To answer your question I don't know. I don't think that I would want to delve down that path again, plus I had to custom make it to fit my roady climate control

Mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
Anybody have any issues with the right side vent? My deck only goes in so far before it hits the vent? I was thinking of trying to cut into the vent, but what would you patch the vent with?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
So, there is no way to install a double din unit without flipping the temperature gauges to the bottom - I would really like to leave them on top.

No you can do it, it is just the viewing angle blows and you will have to tilt the screen way up to see it, if you are ok with that, run with it but you will have to make your own brackets and custom fab a filler piece.

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
No you can do it, it is just the viewing angle blows and you will have to tilt the screen way up to see it, if you are ok with that, run with it but you will have to make your own brackets and custom fab a filler piece.

Mike
sounds like it may be easier to go with the switch, Im not sure if its worth having the doubke din if the view will suck. Thanks for the comment

·
Registered
976 Posts
Here is mine, i had to cut the a/c duct and havent sealed it back off but it didnt affect how much air comes out that i could tell. i just made a frame out of stainless steel and drilled holes to bolt it in the factory holes. I had to trim some of the dash support and still need to fill the gap around the radio. its not hard to do at all just takes time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
No i was just showing 96dreamss what i did and what was involved. It still looks as the pic till i finish the outside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts