Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic says. What's hot and what's not in these styles? What to look for? I'm thinking Nav would be nice, provisions for my ipod and the ability to incorporate a cd changer. Monitor sizes seems to be either 6.5" or 7". I'm thinking 7" would be preferred.

Here's what I've found and I'm sure there's other mfg's out there.

Panasonic's CQ-VD6503U

Kenwood's Excelon DDX8017

Clarion's MAX675VD *7" monitor*

Pioneer's AVIC-D2
Vehicle Dynamics Shows gauges on your speed, acceleration g's, lateral g's, slope etc...

Pyle's Manual PL2DNTV7 *7" monitor*

What do you all think? The Pioneer piece is pretty slick.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have had good things with the Kenwood, Pioneer and Panasonic. Not a big fan of the clarion and would recommend you stay away from the Pyle. Everything we have installed from Pyle we have had to take out and replace with one of the above name companies because something went wrong with the pyle unit. You should be good with any of the others.

My choice because I have always had a kenwood in my car I would go with that unit.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pioneer or Panasonic hands down E-Dizzle snacks! :D

Jayo<---- Pioneer 4 life!
EVO<----- Panasonic 4 life!

I'm gonna put the AVIC-D1 or D2 in the truck! ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont forget about the eclipse double din its my favorite by far

0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E...dont forget you have a fully metalized tint that will interupt the Navi signal. Something you will have to take into consideration that the signal wont be all that strong.

Im looking at both Alpine & Eclipse right now. Looks like my plans for 10" indash arent gonna pan out.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good input fellahs - keep 'em coming!

The Eclipse joint looks pretty solid and used a 'dual dvd' system which is pretty slick.

My flip out is a 7" monitor and to me,....there's a pretty big difference between a 6.5 vs. 7" screen.

Eclipse AVN6600:

Don't laugh - just throwin' this out since it's probably the cheapest I've seen.
Boss BV9250

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E...

Eclipse, Pioneer or Panasonic only. I have GOOD accounts with all of em, let me know if you need somethin for that lowski wowski

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my opinion the kenwood excelon is a very good head unit. I have never had any problems with any of their h.u. and I have a unit still working for about 4 years. My only question is how are you going to install the double din. If you could show how to do this it would help me out alot since I will be getting the ddx-8017.

K

·
0 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a Kenwood DDX-7015 in the WRX (now in Troy Simmon's Ford Pickup). Worked decent out of the box, although sound got a lot better when I did the Dolby 5.1 box (and corresponding amps) on it. Was pretty sick to have surround sound in a compact car :D

I thought about just moving it all to my new truck, but decided to instead sell it and go Alpine (IVA-W200 head unit) because Alpine has, by far, the best Ipod interface right now.

When done (about 80% there...have all the parts, still finishing up the install), the truck system will be the following :</font>
  • Alpine IVA-W200 head unit</font>
  • Alpine "Full Speed" Ipod Interface)</font>
  • Sirius Satellite Radio</font>
  • Steering Wheel Control Interface (lets steering wheel controls still work on new head unit)</font>
  • Underdash modules to make it work with the newer interfaces in the truck (would NOT be needed on an install into an SS)</font>
  • Infinity speakers in stock door locations for front (6.5" Component) and rear (4x6 Co-ax)</font>
  • Infinity 4" Co-ax in custom console on the floor for center channel</font>
  • 10" Sub in sealed enclosure under left side of ext cab rear seat</font>
  • Alpine PXA-H701 sound processor (5.1 surround sound, 31 band EQ, Time alignment/correction for the channels, etc</font>
  • 5 Ch amp for 4 doors and sub</font>
  • Small 1 Ch amp for center channel</font>
  • Alpine Blackbird Navigation, with dock (this is a portable that can be used outside the truck, or "docked" into a hidden dock in the truck and interface with the head unit)</font>
Hoping to have it all working by early next year. All told I'll be in for about $2500 and a not insignificant number of hours of my labor into the install
. Even what I have now (pretty much all except for the surround processor being hooked up) it is pretty slick :D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alpine also has a new unit out I just check out last night, I'm thinking of getting within the next week or two, now I have the Kenwood KVT-911DVD unit in my 96 SS now, it works great just looking for something new.....

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by George D.:
Eclipse. Nothing else even comes close.
How so? Not to be a smart a$$ - just curious as to what Eclipse offers to be so far ahead of the game?

E

1 - 16 of 16 Posts