Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I go again, well I bought a double din Avic Z2 head unit about a year ago, with back up cam, bluetooth and XM and upgraded it to Z3 with a 60GB harddrive, etc. Well I has it installed generally where the original radio was located, but found that the viewing angle wasn't the greatest as others have found.

I thought about getting a unit from DetailSS, very nice piece, but the way that I am, I couldn't just buy something that expensive to mount a radio and close it out. So I had some steel in the garage, .060, to be exact and I fabbed up a piece to mount the head unit and heater controls. Also with DetailSS piece the roady controls wouldn't fit right from what I saw. So here it is. installed, I will have to take it out again for something else to install to the headunit so this is all that I have right now.

I still have to remold the piece on the dash but, right now I have maybe 20 bucks into it and about 2 hours of labor. I think that it is going to come out pretty good, I will keep this updated.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
LMAO!!! That is awesome. I was thinking about doing the same damn thing. Keep the pics comin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cool. Pics of it illuminated when you get a chance please.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
from what vehicle did that ac unit orignate from?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
from what vehicle did that ac unit orignate from?
95 or 96 roadmaster, you can use one from a 94-96 roady or you can use the fleetwood controls also, but I think that some guys have had problems with the fleetwood controls for some reason. Not real real easy to integrate, but not the most difficult thing to do.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thought about posting pics, but I figured a video would be better, here it is all lit up.

Oh one thing that I forgot to mention is the the display on the roady temp control will not dim in a caprice, even with a a factory head unit, I am working on the circuit to make it dim, but it is a nightware, I should have something ready by next year :) Here is the video, little dark but you get the idea

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Looks good mike...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Keep us updated 94MI9c1!

7,191 Posts
stay tuned guys impholla is getting ready to install a Z2 in my caprice this tuesday ill have a few install pics for the guys with the 91-93 dashes, he has done a 94-96 also ill see what details he can give me

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that would be cool to see brother, curious what others have done, I did look in the shop today, and well I thought that I started modding the lower dash, but I guess that I didn't, I guess I will have to get on that.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here you go fellas, here is where I am at right now. More work left of course and yes I glassed in the ash tray, don't need it with the console I put in. :) Don't mine the red line on it, getting a guesstimate of how much more I need to cut out. I basically cut out the center and flipped it over to make it this far, glassed in the original hole for the radio on the sides and cut out, still need to trim it more hence why it looks a little crooked.

It should come out pretty well. I am only able to work on it about an hour a night, this is about two hours worth :)

More to come...

Mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
I like the gauges on the screen, how do you wire it up?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts