Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come out with a DD that has great screen quality like many OEM applications?

Or do they all wash out still? Doesn't make sense to buy a Nav/DVD/iPod controller that you can only use during the night.

Apparently Pioneer units still wash out, even with their new advanced resolution (looks great at night).

Tint may help, but for those who don't run tint, are we screwed?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that looks like the rear passenger view :eek::p but yeah. I have an older AVH unit and it's impossible to see with limo tint all around and a fully tinted windshield. I'm considering biting the bullet and buying what I like and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
All these years and I'm still rocking with my Avic-Z2. The tilt of the screen has A LOT to do with it. If you run it at 90 degrees, flush with the dash, it's gonna wash out like crazy. Tilting it up just a bit made all of the difference for me, and may for you as well. Try it.

Also, I run a 20% smoke tint on the back and 35% on the front windows.

-Mike

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know I've read several reviews about tilting the screen and it not helping. I remember I had an Alpine single din a decade ago and had no problems seeing it. I will eventually just bite the bullet on the Pioneer because of the features I like.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I don't recall having any issues with the Pioneer I had in my TBSS, I believe it was an AVH 4100 or 4200. It would glare with the sunroof open but I could see it fine during the day with tinted windows that weren't very dark. The nav in my TL is the same way, I don't think you can do anything about it if the sun is shining right on it. On newer cars I've seen the nav screen recessed in the dash which fixes that cause it'll never have direct sun on it but I don't think that's an option for you.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Idk man. I've had several Alpine units. I still have an Alpine DD in my dually. I have to admit though, I'm quite happy and stratified with the Pioneer DD in my Silverado.

The SS has an Eclipse DD. I like that too. Of them all, I'd actually consider a top of the line Pioneer DD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts