Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've googled this already, but I can't really find everything I'm looking for.

I want:
- Bluetooth (w/o an add on preferred) (HFP/HSP/A2DP/AVRCP)
- USB on front
- Aux on front

Nice to haves:
- touch screen
- multi cd/dvd in dash
- can use an internet connection provided by cell phone
- HDMI input (would be awesome)

I've seen some nice loaded decks, but require a BT addon. I have the HTC EVO 4G and using it for my cell/mp3/camera (when I upgrade the 8gb SDHC card to 32gb) & it responds well to BT. The EVO has HDMI mini out & would be ideal to have HDMI in on the receiver!

If you don't know of a particular deck, how about a website that covers these kinds of things so I can read up? I've been as out of touch with car audio as I have been with PC hardware. I just upgraded my aging desktop for about $1400:
- AMD Sempron II 3.0Ghz quad core
- 4GB DDR3 CL7 RAM
- 2TB 7200rpm drive
- MSI 890FXA-GD70
- XFX Radeon HD 5870 w/1GB DDR5
- XFX PSU 600w (modular)
- (2) Asus 24" LCDs

Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try going to different manufacturers web sites and check out their products. I like Kenwood they always got some nice decks with lots of options.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This meets most of my needs, except USB on the back. I could add modules as needed, but it supports the BT profile to playback my phone's nav instructions over the unit.

Clarion VX400

Any one ever have any dealings with it?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, for not much more, I can get the Clarion VX709 which will play DivX too. It has more of what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I have the Clarion VX709 in hand. Any Dallas folk have a recommendation on an installer that will install my radio, alarm, and speakers?

Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Clarion VX709 installed over the weekend & I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's very responsive to touch on the screen, virtually no lag. Sounds great over bluetooth using A2DP playing Pandora or MixZing and sounds good on the phone. The few people I've talked to on the phone haven't complained about sound quality at all.

It charges my phone when I connect the USB cable & it can read the SD card for my MP3s. So I can play the MP3s on my phone via USB or Bluetooth. Via USB, I can see song title/album/artist info. No info like that via BT.

DVD works great too. The installer left the cable exposed so I can figure out my own solution to watch video full time.

I bought a lil 32gb thumb drive to put most of my music collection on to keep in the car full time. Unfortunately, it did not like my portable hard drive via USB. If THAT would've worked, I have this extra laptop hard drive enclosure that does SATA2/USB2 and is only limited by the capacity of HDD.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, I used the DetaillSS Kit. It wasn't that bad, but epoxying the face on was harder than anticipated. It doesn't meet my perfectionist needs as I wasn't able to get it seated like I wanted. I tried taking my time on cutting out the bezel, but still had some rough spots that can be seen. I think with a sharpie, I can conceal most of it. I also need to get some of the visible epoxy out. The VX709 sits in there a lil funny it seems. It's really tight across the top, almost zero clearance, but plenty of space on the bottom. I might get in there and adjust the angle some too. It feels like it's angled away from me & I might pull it out just a lil bit more.

I'm happy with it overall, just not completely satisfied. I have no doubts the until will NOT be stolen. The way the bracket is mounted and a unit mounted to the bracket. I might go back & put torx on the mounting points for the bracket, just in case.

Here you can see some of the epoxy (lower left) & exposed cuts (across top):

Here you can see the extra space on the bottom, but the face needs to swing down some to open/close:

Prior to cutting the center section & disconnecting the AC controls:

Backside of the AC controls for reference to reconnect, in case I forgot:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hope much did you end up getting that for?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hope much did you end up getting that for?
The VX709? $499 shipped & as a combo deal with some Polk 6.5" coax (that rock) for $580 shipped from NewEgg.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
lmk how you like it, i might look at picking this up soon

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Yes, I used the DetaillSS Kit.
Here you can see the extra space on the bottom, but the face needs to swing down some to open/close:
Are there 2DIN units with the CD slot in the face, so the screen doesn't need to swing down? I hadn't thought about needing to allow for extra space.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I think that it is the way the mounting brackets are made for the Detail kit.

I am sorry it is a great kit and I am sure there was a lot of time that went into figuring out everything to make it work, it still looks unfinished in my eyes, but you can't expect it to look perfect for a bolt in kit.

I think that the mounting bracket needs to be revised on it though, I don't know why the double din is pushed so far back in, I made my own bracket and all that and mine definitely didn't have to be that far back. I don't know could be the picture I guess, Here is mine for reference.

Here is the bracket that holds all of the stuff in :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lmk how you like it, i might look at picking this up soon
I love it. The only downside is no artist/title info while playing with bluetooth, but that's more of a bluetooth issue vs the stereo.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are there 2DIN units with the CD slot in the face, so the screen doesn't need to swing down? I hadn't thought about needing to allow for extra space.
I'd imagine there are some. I hadn't thought about it either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts