Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Flip outs are ugly, never liked them. If you can do the install clean, double DIN looks much better/classy/more modern. I love my Pioneer 7" in dash in my TBSS.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
double din doesnt fit without hacking up the dash. out stereo holes are 1.5 din, not 2 din, and they are wider than the double, so it requires some mods to make it look right.

as for the slide out... if you just slap it in there, while its open, it covers up the HVAC controls, which is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
my only concern is that the Location on this kinda installation would be a lil low ? maybe I'm wrong cuz thats the original location of the stock and that wasnt too bad...

But on the other hand for security reasons the double dins don't have a detachable anything right ?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
mine looks like that, except my deck is black, and my hvac is at the top of the hole, and there is another DVD player flushed under it thats hooked up to my 13" overhead screen.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
The only issue with that is when I watch a DVD its easier to get spotted by any officer.
A double din hides it quite well..

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Here is my Avic-Z3 after I got done making my own mounts for it, I just couldn't see spending 200 bucks on a kit with a mount, very nice kit yes, but I just don't like to drop money for something line that, I made my own mounting bracket cause with the Roady HVAC controls I have the Detail kit wouldn't work anyway. It is made out of sheetmetal the bracket any, and if someone tried to steel it they would have to rip the whole dash apart. :) I then cut the center section out of the dash and flipped it over and remolded it in. Anyway here are some pics. I to don't like flip out's they look funky can can just look like they are in the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would totally go with the double din. Sure it takes a little more work, but the final result is worth it. Especially if you do get the kit from www.detailss.com. The price is a tad salty, but I just got done installing it myself and the time I saved made it worth it. With his directions, it went in pretty easy.

I'll post pics as soon as the rest of my dash is done.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Flip outs are ugly, never liked them. If you can do the install clean, double DIN looks much better/classy/more modern. I love my Pioneer 7" in dash in my TBSS.
agreed, flip outs are out. double din, clean stock looking are whats in, takes time, maybe a little more in depth to do, but thats jsut my opinion.

·
Registered
770 Posts
double dins are nice but screw paying $200 for just the kit i paid less than that for my flip out and i can hide it so noone can realy tell if its a flip out ( unless you know what they look like )

i do agree double dins look awesome but id spend the money somewhere else ??? subs??? tweeters?? the list goes on

but they do look good

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Here is my Avic-Z3 after I got done making my own mounts for it, I just couldn't see spending 200 bucks on a kit with a mount, very nice kit yes, but I just don't like to drop money for something line that, I made my own mounting bracket cause with the Roady HVAC controls I have the Detail kit wouldn't work anyway. It is made out of sheetmetal the bracket any, and if someone tried to steel it they would have to rip the whole dash apart. :) I then cut the center section out of the dash and flipped it over and remolded it in. Anyway here are some pics. I to don't like flip out's they look funky can can just look like they are in the way.

IMHO, yours looks cleaner than the pics I've seen of the detailss kit.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
IMHO, yours looks cleaner than the pics I've seen of the detailss kit.
Thanks man, that is what I was hoping for, and again I will state I am not trying to hack on Details kit, as it is very well thought out, but the trim piece in my eyes looks out of place. Now with that being said was the job of installing my double din a two hour job, no. But it probably took me about 10-12 hours total labor to accomplish what you see in the pic. The metal bracket that I fabbed up for my install took a little ingenuity to get it to sit right, but nothing big, probably 3 hours to make that, and maybe 20 bucks in material. the lower dash fab to the rest of the time, I could probably do it again in about 5-6 hours, if I had the time to sit down and do it all at once. The lower dash fill cost was about 50 bucks in materials including the paint, bondo and epoxy. Here are some pics of the process.

center section cut and rebonded flipped over

After the bondo process was complete the center was shot with this pain, Krylon outdoor furniture textured paint about 7 bucks at Walmart
This was shot at a distance of about 3-4 feet to give it a mist and after it was dry I hit it with semi gloss black. It came out damn close to the original, pictures with the flash make it look really textured, but it isn't.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts