Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm looking to purchase a set of shocks and springs for the track. My car is set up strip/street with the emphasis on "strip". Only time im going to drive my car is down to the track. I've always used bilstiens and loved them. But that was when my car was setup for the street. Ive done a lot of searching through the forums and got some really good info. Ive noticed some people running Comp Engineering and Lakewood. But when I called Comp and Lakewood they both told me they don't have specific shocks or springs for my Impala. So for those who are running drag shocks and/or springs please chime in. Looking for what brands (part #'s if possible) and what mods if any you had to do to make them work. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Tell us about the car. What's been done to it? What times are you currently running? What are you REALISTICALLY shooting for?
I'm asking this because you might be overthinking this. Depending on what you've done for the rest of the car, you may not see any worthwhile improvement from running just worn out stock shocks. Seriously.
I've played around with shocks quite a bit, and honestly most of it was just pissing in the wind. It still comes down to track prep.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I noticed when replacing my stock shocks that they behaved just like "drag-shocks". Firm compression,with very free/loose extension. Perfect for drag-racing,but a little counter-productive on the road.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Look into qa1 shocks
TS507-frt
TS801-r

and air bags inside rear springs

once you introduce "adjustable" componets you need to see what settings give better results. Usually a few more lbs of air in the RR air bag..for example

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys. Engine 383 heads/cam NA approx 500 Nitrous approx 625+ These are realistic numbers not "dream" numbers haha. Stall 4000+, 4.30 gears, 28" slick, and rear upper/lower control arms. Biltstein are on now and am looking for an adjustable shock that would compliment/complete my setup at the track. And yes i agree, track prep is EVERYTHING!

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. Engine 383 heads/cam NA approx 500 Nitrous approx 625+ These are realistic numbers not "dream" numbers haha. Stall 4000+, 4.30 gears, 28" slick, and rear upper/lower control arms. Biltstein are on now and am looking for an adjustable shock that would compliment/complete my setup at the track. And yes i agree, track prep is EVERYTHING!
OK, sounds like you're serious ;)
That's about the same power on and off the spray I've been trying to put down, so my perspective may help.
Front shocks: either simple 90/10's or QA1 TR507. I have the TR507's, which are the "R"/dragrace valving, compression damping varies only slightly with adjustment, adjustment mostly affects rebound damping. I'm perfectly satisfied with them. Those fronts that BALLSS mentioned are a good all-round shock, not what you want for a strip setup.

Rear shocks: I have those TS801's. Don't waste your time with them. I've found them to be no better than stock shocks for strip use. At your level, go straight to some double adjustables.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear shocks: I have those TS801's. Don't waste your time with them. I've found them to be no better than stock shocks for strip use. At your level said:
Great info! Any recommendations on what rear shocks. like i said its hard to find these shocks due to no specific part numbers for our cars. I guess Im looking for the extended and collapsed length. Plus are you saying its ok to run front drag shocks and stock rear shocks? And yes i am serious..As serious as i can afford. haha Which is why we need to be smart with our mods and not piss money away. thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also will there be an issue with my slicks(28x11.5) rubbing on the fender or wheel well with drag shocks at the initial launch? As of right now i removed the trim around the fender and trimmed about 1/2" all around for a perfect fit.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Also will there be an issue with my slicks(28x11.5) rubbing on the fender or wheel well with drag shocks at the initial launch? As of right now i removed the trim around the fender and trimmed about 1/2" all around for a perfect fit.
I can't say for sure, not knowing the true dimensions of those "28x11.5 slicks".
If it's an ET Street, I'd say no problem, since their width number doesn't signify as wide a tire as something like an ET Drag or Hoosier non-DOT slick.
But if it's truly 11.5" tread width, depending on the wheel offset, you could have contact with the fenderwell or framerail.
It also depends on how your IC (control arm angles) is set up. You may or may not get significant suspension travel on launch. Videos I have of my car show almost no change in fenderwell gap on launch, so the clearance I have at static is pretty much it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.