Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my RMW drag racing on an 1/8 mile track and I was able to get 10.077 @69.80mph @ 70 degrees. At the tree I ended up just leaving on the third yellow- getting me consistent .110 second reaction times.

This is a stock Buick except for throttle body coolant bypass, home plate/ first base delete, transmission shifts a little firmer than stock after being rebuilt years ago, and stock 2.93 rear end

What can I do to break into the 9's?
Are there any good fuel additives out there? I've had some success with +104 and Lucas Oil

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
PCM reprogram, gears/posi and tires should give you good results! :)

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
And a higher stall convertor.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Yes, but this being a very dear car to me (my grandpa gave it to me), I don't really want to dig into the engine and go crazy. This is my daily driver so I also need it to be streetable. So I was looking for quick, reversible things to speed me up a little.
The two easiest tips above, pulling the belt and a shallow stage, will get you your 9-sec pass. ...and then a 9.8 this Fall ;) ....and they're all free! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The two easiest tips above, pulling the belt and a shallow stage, will get you your 9-sec pass. ...and then a 9.8 this Fall ;) ....and they're all free! :)

Awesome! On the shallow stage, is that where you stop as soon as the second staging bulbs come on? And what preparations do I need to make battery wise, since I'll be removing the belt from the alternator too?

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Awesome! On the shallow stage, is that where you stop as soon as the second staging bulbs come on? And what preparations do I need to make battery wise, since I'll be removing the belt from the alternator too?

No, that's where you stop before the second bulb comes on and creep ever so slowly, 1 inch at a time, until the second bulb just barely comes on and launch from there. Have a rachet with a 13mm socket with you and remove the belt just before your run. When you get back to the pits, you can put it back on to drive around, get back into staging lanes etc etc, and remove it again before your next run. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it!

Thanks for all the tips! I was able to get a 9.907 @ 70.971mph last night! The 60degree weather helped too! High octane gas (93), ice for intake manifold, bug sprayer full of water to spray down the radiators, and also a very shallow stage got me there!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Now have the car tuned, go back out and run in October, and get a 9.59 or better.....

And through it all, I can tell you it was probably only the air that made the difference. Even pulling my belt I've noticed only a small difference. The air is your #1 friend, or worst enemy....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.