Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 94 caprice wagon yesterday, 82,000 miles, but totally rusted out underneath, gotta love michigans salt roads in the winter. Parting the car out, got the car listed in parts for sale.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Home? Man what I'd give for a driveway with that many lined parking spots eh.

So rub it in a tell us you got like $250 in it. cwm1

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Home? Man what I'd give for a driveway with that many lined parking spots eh.

So rub it in a tell us you got like $250 in it. cwm1
Its actually a church parking lot around the corner from me, i do park cars there, just not on sunday.
Paid a little more than that, the guy kinda knew what he had. He worked for the city, told me all about the old caprice's they used to have. Bought the car in Flint, says his neighbor has 3 wagons.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
...his neighbor has 3 wagons.
Are they rust buckets as well? Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see some pics of the usual rust trouble spots. If the fender has a hole like that in it, it's gotta be bad everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wow, this is the second caprice I have seen with no hood ornamanet. Was that a delete option in 94?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Nevermind, saw the hole in the hood in the parts section.
My friend just bought a 94 cappy wagon and theres no hole in the hood for the ornamant, and its the original hood too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like the right front fender color is not an exact match.. to the rest of car. Maybe it was a replacement fender from some other car???? The rear quarter looks clean.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
I have to say, a lot of this 'rusty car' business is people not taking care of the cars. I live in probably the worst corrosion environment in the country, with lots of freeze/thaw cycles, salt and moisture. I wash my cars regularly during the winter, oil them before the winter (used motor oil works well as long as it's not coolant-contaminated), and use a good wax several times a year. My '94 wagon was originally from Miami, FL and it was so clean when I got it that I removed the entire exhaust (including manifolds) with hand tools. It has now been driven through 5 Syracuse winters and it is still in very very good condition rust-wise. In fact, the only areas that are hurting are ones that were caused either by Miami corrosion (roof rail rain drain areas) or a water leak. It is always parked on pavement and stays outside all winter. I fix rock chips with touchup paint and then follow up with wax.

When I see cars rusted out like this, I think "neglect."

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have to say, a lot of this 'rusty car' business is people not taking care of the cars. I live in probably the worst corrosion environment in the country, with lots of freeze/thaw cycles, salt and moisture. I wash my cars regularly during the winter, oil them before the winter (used motor oil works well as long as it's not coolant-contaminated), and use a good wax several times a year. My '94 wagon was originally from Miami, FL and it was so clean when I got it that I removed the entire exhaust (including manifolds) with hand tools. It has now been driven through 5 Syracuse winters and it is still in very very good condition rust-wise. In fact, the only areas that are hurting are ones that were caused either by Miami corrosion (roof rail rain drain areas) or a water leak. It is always parked on pavement and stays outside all winter. I fix rock chips with touchup paint and then follow up with wax.

When I see cars rusted out like this, I think "neglect."
Your right on that one. That Caprice the Lynol just got was ruined in only 5 years. The guy said when got the car it was spotless. He admitted to never washing it and only used it in the winter.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
They had a chevy plow truck at work. 2003 6.0 Silverado 2500 4x4. it has SEVEN thousand miles. The truck looks worse than some 15 year old trucks with 200k driven in the winter... Why? The truck was never washed off.

I never oiled the bottom of my cars, But I always used high pressure water and would thoroughly flush out all the salt-sand from the bottom of the cars used during the winter. They have a LITTLE bit of rust, But nothing crazy.

If GM @ willow run would of seam sealed around the inner - outer quarter panel seams, There would of been hardly any rust on it.. IF you haven't done it get, Get a tube of Seam sealer and go around all the spot welded joints to keep water out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wow, it's one of the other 188 '94s with the same color scheme as mine (I looked it up a while back). Well, I guess it's one less....soon as it's parted :)

Mike

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Are they rust buckets as well? Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see some pics of the usual rust trouble spots. If the fender has a hole like that in it, it's gotta be bad everywhere else.
They are about the same as the sedans really. Only difference being the wagon has a D pillar and water can get in them and make a nasty mess. Also the rear side windows can leak and let water pool up in the quarters, rotting them out.

I'll make a trip to BG one day and you can see the trouble spots on mine :(

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
They had a chevy plow truck at work. 2003 6.0 Silverado 2500 4x4. it has SEVEN thousand miles. The truck looks worse than some 15 year old trucks with 200k driven in the winter... Why? The truck was never washed off.
I saw a truck like that here in a junkyard in Syracuse. It was the RUSTIEST LS engine I've ever seen.

The thing that irks me is when people neglect the cars and then think it's still worth blue book. This is particularly endemic here in the rust belt when non-car people go to sell an 8-10 year old car that's basically rusted out, and they think it's still worth something. Sorry buddy, YOU didn't take care of it, so YOU get to eat the depreciation.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rust

To most, these are just cars, no thought on preserving them, i was told that the car didn't get driven that much, just parked. Even if someone drives them thru the carwash, the salt just eats at the underside when parked. I bought a roadmaster wagon from a guy, he bought it with 23,000 miles, swore he kept it washed, body was perfect, but the underside was totally rusted out, even tho he parked in the garage. Does look like the front clip has been painted, doesn't match, does have rust in the front fenders, but the rear of the car is great, no rust in the d pillars, tailgate is immaculate. Havn't been under it, but ii am sure it is nasty. Was a tow option car, hitch is totally rusted out. Been trying to read the sticker, looks like GU6, which is 3:42 gears, did these wagons ever come with these?

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
I saw a truck like that here in a junkyard in Syracuse. It was the RUSTIEST LS engine I've ever seen.

The thing that irks me is when people neglect the cars and then think it's still worth blue book. This is particularly endemic here in the rust belt when non-car people go to sell an 8-10 year old car that's basically rusted out, and they think it's still worth something. Sorry buddy, YOU didn't take care of it, so YOU get to eat the depreciation.
This 6.0 looked like a rusted boat anchor. The block and manifolds were 100% rust flake. The truck runs PERFECT, The body looks perfect. Just the frame-suspension and engine is toast. The AC compressor locked up at 4,000 miles from rust.

·
Registered
892 Posts
. Been trying to read the sticker, looks like GU6, which is 3:42 gears, did these wagons ever come with these?
Don't think so, you could not buy any 94-96 B-body with 3.42 gears, not even the 9C1 police package. The only way you could get 3.42 is by buying a 91-93 9C1 sedan.

91-93 wagon got as low as 3.23 with the towing package. The newer ones got an even taller ratio than that, 2.93 for example.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Here's the pics of Lynol's rusty 52k Caprice. The guy he got it from said when he bought it in 05 with 39k on it there was no rust anywhere. The DS quarter panel rust is not from the salt, it rusted from the inside out thanks to either the roof rack or quarter window.
http://picasaweb.google.com/112403261079321912100/Rustprice#

1 - 20 of 24 Posts