Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace the compressor and a couple other A/C system parts. I have the FSM and Haynes manual but it is not very clear with the first step on how to drain the refrigerant. The car isn't driveable at the moment so I'm looking to DIY. I'm going to HF to get the vacuum gauges and pump but this first step is confusing me. Thanks for helping out a newbie with this!

·
Registered
976 Posts
@ minimum you need a recovery tank, and have to use the existing compressor to force it in.
While possible not really a diy job unless understand the process.
A vacuum pump & gauge set isn’t going to do a recovery.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So everyone just get it evacuated at a shop first?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I just killed some of the ozone layer. Mine mysteriously sprang a leak just before the compressor change. Damn the bad luck but I didn't have a recovery system. I know, somewhere in California someone is weeping, polar bears are starving on the melted polar ice, baby seals are being clubbed and it's all my fault. I'm OK with that. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So loosening the low pressure line near the radiator would drain it then?

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
No. Most just crack open a line and let it leak out. Many system failures end up with an empty system anywyas.
I remember back when the rules changed ,
Trying to be responsible at our body shop, we call the local AC place to have them come and discharge the system on a car we were working on.
Guy walks in and cracks the line and walks way !!!.

If you are trying to be responsible, you could go to an AC shop and ask for an empty freon tank.
Pump the tank down with your vacuum pump.
Hook it to the system with your gauges then let it discharge into the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts